Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Viaduct, Culloden Moor, near Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_2760
PLACENAME
Culloden Moor
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
34664
KEYWORDS
postcards
railways
railway lines
railway viaducts
railway bridges
rivers
valleys
quarries
The Viaduct, Culloden Moor, near Inverness

This postcard shows the railway viaduct spanning the River Nairn near Clava, about six miles east of Inverness. Built between 1893 and 1898 by Sir John Fowler and Murdoch Paterson, it curves across the valley for 600 yards (549 metres) and is the longest viaduct of its kind in Scotland. Its 28 spans are all 50 feet wide apart from the span crossing the river which is 100 feet wide. The sandstone used to build the viaduct came from the nearby Leanach Quarry.

The Culloden viaduct, also known as the Clava viaduct, was opened in 1898 by The Highland Railway as part of the Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway and it still carries the main railway line south from Inverness today.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Viaduct, Culloden Moor, near Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s

postcards; railways; railway lines; railway viaducts; railway bridges; rivers; valleys; quarries

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the railway viaduct spanning the River Nairn near Clava, about six miles east of Inverness. Built between 1893 and 1898 by Sir John Fowler and Murdoch Paterson, it curves across the valley for 600 yards (549 metres) and is the longest viaduct of its kind in Scotland. Its 28 spans are all 50 feet wide apart from the span crossing the river which is 100 feet wide. The sandstone used to build the viaduct came from the nearby Leanach Quarry. <br /> <br /> The Culloden viaduct, also known as the Clava viaduct, was opened in 1898 by The Highland Railway as part of the Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway and it still carries the main railway line south from Inverness today.