Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
High Street looking east, Nairn

This postcard shows a view of the High Street in Nairn. The clock tower on Nairn Town and County Buildings was erected in 1870, replacing that of the earlier tolbooth. The statue of Dr Grigor, at the corner of Leopold Street and High Street, was unveiled on 31 May 1890. The inscription on the pedestal reads:

'John Grigor M.D. 1814-1866 for fifty years a medical practitioner in Nairn. Beloved and Esteemed by All.'

The statue stood in Leopold Street until 1950 when it was moved to a position in front of Viewfield House.

Nairn is a royal burgh situated on the southern shore of the Moray Firth, approximately 16 miles from Inverness. It was once known as Invernairn because of its position at the mouth of the River Nairn. Before the coming of the Inverness and Nairn Railway in 1855, Nairn was a market and farming town inland from the Fishertown, a fishing village probably settled by the Norse before 1000 AD.

In the 16th century Nairn had a mixture of Gaelic-speaking Highlanders and north east fisher folk, who spoke Scots or English. It is recorded that King James VI and I boasted that he had a town in Scotland so long that the people at one end of the street spoke a different language from those at the other end.

The most recent part of Nairn is the Victorian resort town which grew up around the existing Fishertown after the arrival of the railway. The town became a popular health spa due to the medicinal properties of the local sea water, the long sandy beaches and the sunny dry climate. Elegant Victorian villas and prestigious hotels were built to accommodate the growing number of visitors. Other facilities were also developed, including a promenade, a bandstand and two golf courses.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

High Street looking east, Nairn

NAIRN: Nairn

1890s; 1900s

postcards; streets; clock towers; statues; monuments; towns; royal burghs; rivers; railways; market towns; fishing industry; villages; Gaelic speakers; fishermen; kings; holiday resorts; seaside resorts; spas; spa towns; beach; promenades; bandstands

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of the High Street in Nairn. The clock tower on Nairn Town and County Buildings was erected in 1870, replacing that of the earlier tolbooth. The statue of Dr Grigor, at the corner of Leopold Street and High Street, was unveiled on 31 May 1890. The inscription on the pedestal reads: <br /> <br /> 'John Grigor M.D. 1814-1866 for fifty years a medical practitioner in Nairn. Beloved and Esteemed by All.' <br /> <br /> The statue stood in Leopold Street until 1950 when it was moved to a position in front of Viewfield House.<br /> <br /> Nairn is a royal burgh situated on the southern shore of the Moray Firth, approximately 16 miles from Inverness. It was once known as Invernairn because of its position at the mouth of the River Nairn. Before the coming of the Inverness and Nairn Railway in 1855, Nairn was a market and farming town inland from the Fishertown, a fishing village probably settled by the Norse before 1000 AD. <br /> <br /> In the 16th century Nairn had a mixture of Gaelic-speaking Highlanders and north east fisher folk, who spoke Scots or English. It is recorded that King James VI and I boasted that he had a town in Scotland so long that the people at one end of the street spoke a different language from those at the other end.<br /> <br /> The most recent part of Nairn is the Victorian resort town which grew up around the existing Fishertown after the arrival of the railway. The town became a popular health spa due to the medicinal properties of the local sea water, the long sandy beaches and the sunny dry climate. Elegant Victorian villas and prestigious hotels were built to accommodate the growing number of visitors. Other facilities were also developed, including a promenade, a bandstand and two golf courses.