Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Harbour and Caravan Site, Nairn
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_2801_AT
PLACENAME
Nairn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Nairn
DATE OF IMAGE
2010
PERIOD
2010s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
34711
KEYWORDS
harbours
caravan sites
caravan parks
campsites
rivers
quays
piers
river basins
fishing villages
fishing ports
marinas
Harbour and Caravan Site, Nairn

The harbour and caravan site at Nairn. The caravan site was established in 1958 on rough ground on the east side of the river, opposite the harbour. It remains popular with holiday makers today.

The harbour was established in 1818-25 under the supervision of Thomas Telford. Telford altered the course of the River Nairn and built a new quay beside the western bank of the new channel. Unfortunately, the pier was badly damaged in the great Moray floods of 1829 and had to be rebuilt. A new east breakwater was added at this time. Further improvements have taken place over the years, most notably in 1932 when the drifter basin was built.

The building of the new harbour led to its increased use by both fishing boats and sailing vessels. Delnies to the west of Nairn and Lochloy and Maviston to the east had previously been thriving fishing communities in their own right, but some of their families now moved into Nairn itself, where the new harbour allowed them to have larger vessels. This meant that they could extend their fishing beyond the Moray Firth.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Harbour and Caravan Site, Nairn

NAIRN: Nairn

2010s

harbours; caravan sites; caravan parks; campsites; rivers; quays; piers; river basins; fishing villages; fishing ports; marinas

Andrew Taylor

The harbour and caravan site at Nairn. The caravan site was established in 1958 on rough ground on the east side of the river, opposite the harbour. It remains popular with holiday makers today.<br /> <br /> The harbour was established in 1818-25 under the supervision of Thomas Telford. Telford altered the course of the River Nairn and built a new quay beside the western bank of the new channel. Unfortunately, the pier was badly damaged in the great Moray floods of 1829 and had to be rebuilt. A new east breakwater was added at this time. Further improvements have taken place over the years, most notably in 1932 when the drifter basin was built.<br /> <br /> The building of the new harbour led to its increased use by both fishing boats and sailing vessels. Delnies to the west of Nairn and Lochloy and Maviston to the east had previously been thriving fishing communities in their own right, but some of their families now moved into Nairn itself, where the new harbour allowed them to have larger vessels. This meant that they could extend their fishing beyond the Moray Firth.