Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Links and Bandstand, Nairn
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_2803_AT
PLACENAME
Nairn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Nairn
DATE OF IMAGE
2010
PERIOD
2010s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
34714
KEYWORDS
bandstands
hotels
holiday resorts
seaside resorts
The Links and Bandstand, Nairn

The Links at Nairn, with the Wallace Bandstand on the right. Opened in 1884, the bandstand was a gift from John Wallace who emigrated to Australia in 1824 at the age of fourteen. Military bands from Fort George used to play in the bandstand during the summer months.

Other improvements to the Links also took place in the second half of the 19th century. Two large quarry holes were drained and grassed over and paths, shelters and seating were provided. Today the area hosts games, shows and picnics and is used for the playing of cricket, a game introduced to Nairn by English labourers working on the construction of the Inverness-Nairn railway line in the 1850s.

The large building on the left of the photograph is the Royal Marine Hotel, built in 1860. It owed its existence to Dr Grigor of Nairn, who saw the town's potential as a seaside holiday resort. The hotel was demolished at the end of the 1990s and replaced by apartments.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Links and Bandstand, Nairn

NAIRN: Nairn

2010s

bandstands; hotels; holiday resorts; seaside resorts

Andrew Taylor

The Links at Nairn, with the Wallace Bandstand on the right. Opened in 1884, the bandstand was a gift from John Wallace who emigrated to Australia in 1824 at the age of fourteen. Military bands from Fort George used to play in the bandstand during the summer months.<br /> <br /> Other improvements to the Links also took place in the second half of the 19th century. Two large quarry holes were drained and grassed over and paths, shelters and seating were provided. Today the area hosts games, shows and picnics and is used for the playing of cricket, a game introduced to Nairn by English labourers working on the construction of the Inverness-Nairn railway line in the 1850s.<br /> <br /> The large building on the left of the photograph is the Royal Marine Hotel, built in 1860. It owed its existence to Dr Grigor of Nairn, who saw the town's potential as a seaside holiday resort. The hotel was demolished at the end of the 1990s and replaced by apartments.