Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Cuillins of Skye from Mallaig
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_3189
PLACENAME
Mallaig
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
35046
KEYWORDS
villages
harbours
boats
fishing industry
The Cuillins of Skye from Mallaig

The Cuillin Hills on Skye appear faintly in the background in this postcard of the harbour at Mallaig. Fish processing sheds and other buildings are crammed close to the pier indicating the main industry of the town.

Mallaig became established as a village between 1841 and 1851. Its population rose from 24 to 134 during this period. This increase was due to the interventions of Lord Lovat, owner of the North Morar estate, who sought to create a fishing community and encouraged some of his tenants to move there. He financed the building of a pier and improved roads in the area.

Mallaig's fishing industry developed slowly over the course of the second half of the 19th century, and it wasn't until the extension of the West Highland Line to Mallaig in 1901 that the village really began to prosper. The railway meant that catches could now be delivered quickly to markets, and trade and population increased significantly. The shift from sail to steam within the fishing fleet during this period further contributed to Mallaig's growth. Vessels became less weather dependent and could travel greater distances. The harbour was extended and improved several times in the early part of the 20th century and by the 1920s, Mallaig had two boatyards and a number of kippering factories.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Cuillins of Skye from Mallaig

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1930s; 1940s

villages; harbours; boats; fishing industry

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

The Cuillin Hills on Skye appear faintly in the background in this postcard of the harbour at Mallaig. Fish processing sheds and other buildings are crammed close to the pier indicating the main industry of the town. <br /> <br /> Mallaig became established as a village between 1841 and 1851. Its population rose from 24 to 134 during this period. This increase was due to the interventions of Lord Lovat, owner of the North Morar estate, who sought to create a fishing community and encouraged some of his tenants to move there. He financed the building of a pier and improved roads in the area.<br /> <br /> Mallaig's fishing industry developed slowly over the course of the second half of the 19th century, and it wasn't until the extension of the West Highland Line to Mallaig in 1901 that the village really began to prosper. The railway meant that catches could now be delivered quickly to markets, and trade and population increased significantly. The shift from sail to steam within the fishing fleet during this period further contributed to Mallaig's growth. Vessels became less weather dependent and could travel greater distances. The harbour was extended and improved several times in the early part of the 20th century and by the 1920s, Mallaig had two boatyards and a number of kippering factories.