Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The school at the Highland Folk Museum, Newtonmore
EXTERNAL ID
AB_HFM_SCHOOL_037
PLACENAME
Highland Folk Museum
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
CREATOR
Clare Maclean
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
352
KEYWORDS
iron-clad, tin buildings
timber frame
Kirkhill
pre-fabricated buildings
pre-fabs
The school at the Highland Folk Museum, Newtonmore

The exterior of Knockbain School at the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore as seen from the school garden with the garden shed in the foreground and Leanach Church in the distance. Both main buildings are iron-clad, timber frame kit buildings and have been removed from elsewhere in the Highlands and re-constructed at the Museum. The school was taken from Knockbain by Kirkhill 8 miles west of Inverness.

The school was originally erected about 1925 at Knockbain by Kirkhill, 13 kilometres from Inverness and was moved to the museum in 1998, opening in spring 2000. It is a pre-fabricated, timber framed, iron-clad building of a kind that was common in Scotland from the mid-1800s and measures 12 metres by 6 metres. It encloses 4 timber board rooms, namely a large classroom with a range to provide heat, a cloakroom with 3 washbasins, a small teacher's room and an adjoining teacher's toilet. The picture shows the large windows incorporated into the building to give a light, airy interior.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The school at the Highland Folk Museum, Newtonmore

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

iron-clad, tin buildings; timber frame; Kirkhill; pre-fabricated buildings; pre-fabs

Am Baile

Highland Folk Museum Schoolhouse

The exterior of Knockbain School at the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore as seen from the school garden with the garden shed in the foreground and Leanach Church in the distance. Both main buildings are iron-clad, timber frame kit buildings and have been removed from elsewhere in the Highlands and re-constructed at the Museum. The school was taken from Knockbain by Kirkhill 8 miles west of Inverness.<br /> <br /> The school was originally erected about 1925 at Knockbain by Kirkhill, 13 kilometres from Inverness and was moved to the museum in 1998, opening in spring 2000. It is a pre-fabricated, timber framed, iron-clad building of a kind that was common in Scotland from the mid-1800s and measures 12 metres by 6 metres. It encloses 4 timber board rooms, namely a large classroom with a range to provide heat, a cloakroom with 3 washbasins, a small teacher's room and an adjoining teacher's toilet. The picture shows the large windows incorporated into the building to give a light, airy interior.