Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Looking down 'Rest and Thankful', Glen Croe, near Arrochar
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_3451
PLACENAME
Glen Croe
DISTRICT
Cowal
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
35297
KEYWORDS
Argyll
Glencroe
Loch Lomond
Loch Long
Argyll Forest Park
Rest and Be Thankful
viewpoint
military road
glen
General Wade
Raphael Tuck and Sons
Looking down 'Rest and Thankful', Glen Croe, near Arrochar

This postcard contains a photograph, taken in the early years of the twentieth century, showing a view looking down the Rest-and-Be-Thankful viewpoint, up the Glen Croe valley. The glen is situated within the Argyll Forest Park, north-west of Loch Lomond and Loch Long. The A83, the main road, can be seen running through the valley.

The small road lower down the valley, is General Wade's military road. Built in the 1740s under the supervision of Major William Caulfied, the road runs the length of the glen. A stone was inscribed, in 1749, Rest and Be Thankful at a viewpoint along the road's length. Motor racing events took place on the road between 1949 and 1970.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Looking down 'Rest and Thankful', Glen Croe, near Arrochar

ARGYLL: Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich

Argyll; Glencroe; Loch Lomond; Loch Long; Argyll Forest Park; Rest and Be Thankful; viewpoint; military road; glen; General Wade; Raphael Tuck and Sons

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard contains a photograph, taken in the early years of the twentieth century, showing a view looking down the Rest-and-Be-Thankful viewpoint, up the Glen Croe valley. The glen is situated within the Argyll Forest Park, north-west of Loch Lomond and Loch Long. The A83, the main road, can be seen running through the valley.<br /> <br /> The small road lower down the valley, is General Wade's military road. Built in the 1740s under the supervision of Major William Caulfied, the road runs the length of the glen. A stone was inscribed, in 1749, Rest and Be Thankful at a viewpoint along the road's length. Motor racing events took place on the road between 1949 and 1970.