Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The school's greenhouse
EXTERNAL ID
AB_HFM_SCHOOL_038
PLACENAME
Newtonmore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
CREATOR
Clare Maclean
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
353
KEYWORDS
greenhouse
greenhouses
pre-war greenhouse
The school's greenhouse

The greenhouse in the garden of Knockbain School at the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore. This is a re-construction of a pre-war greenhouse and is used in conjunction with the school garden where vegetables and fruit are grown.

The school was originally erected about 1925 at Knockbain by Kirkhill, 13 kilometres from Inverness and was moved to the museum in 1998, opening in spring 2000. It is a pre-fabricated, timber framed, iron-clad building of a kind that was common in Scotland from the mid-1800s and measures 12 metres by 6 metres. It encloses 4 timber board rooms, namely a large classroom with a range to provide heat, a cloakroom with 3 washbasins, a small teacher's room and an adjoining teacher's toilet. The picture shows the large windows incorporated into the building to give a light, airy interior.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The school's greenhouse

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

greenhouse; greenhouses; pre-war greenhouse

Am Baile

Highland Folk Museum Schoolhouse

The greenhouse in the garden of Knockbain School at the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore. This is a re-construction of a pre-war greenhouse and is used in conjunction with the school garden where vegetables and fruit are grown.<br /> <br /> The school was originally erected about 1925 at Knockbain by Kirkhill, 13 kilometres from Inverness and was moved to the museum in 1998, opening in spring 2000. It is a pre-fabricated, timber framed, iron-clad building of a kind that was common in Scotland from the mid-1800s and measures 12 metres by 6 metres. It encloses 4 timber board rooms, namely a large classroom with a range to provide heat, a cloakroom with 3 washbasins, a small teacher's room and an adjoining teacher's toilet. The picture shows the large windows incorporated into the building to give a light, airy interior.