Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ballachulish and the Pap of Glencoe
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_3480
PLACENAME
Ballachulish
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
35326
KEYWORDS
postcard
photograph
Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
Glenachulish
Glencoe
mountains
slate
climbing
hotel
Pap of Glencoe
Sgurr na Ciche
Ballachulish and the Pap of Glencoe

This postcard contains a view of the Ballachulish Hotel, at Glenachulish. Located east of Glencoe, at the meeting of Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe, the name Ballachulish originates from the Gaelic meaning, 'village on the narrows.' Glenachulish therefore translates as 'valley of the narrows.'

The settlement initially grew around the nearby slate quarries in the eighteenth century, mined to supply tiles for roofing Victorian Glasgow. In 1903, a branch of the Callander and Oban Railway opened at Ballachulish, making the region more accessible.

The Pap of Glencoe, or Sgurr na Ciche in Gaelic, rises 742 m (2434 ft) on the northern side of Glencoe. The mountain forms part of the 'classic' view of the valley when entering it from the west.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ballachulish and the Pap of Glencoe

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

postcard; photograph; Ballachulish; Ballachulish Hotel; Glenachulish; Glencoe; mountains; slate; climbing; hotel; Pap of Glencoe; Sgurr na Ciche

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard contains a view of the Ballachulish Hotel, at Glenachulish. Located east of Glencoe, at the meeting of Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe, the name Ballachulish originates from the Gaelic meaning, 'village on the narrows.' Glenachulish therefore translates as 'valley of the narrows.'<br /> <br /> The settlement initially grew around the nearby slate quarries in the eighteenth century, mined to supply tiles for roofing Victorian Glasgow. In 1903, a branch of the Callander and Oban Railway opened at Ballachulish, making the region more accessible. <br /> <br /> The Pap of Glencoe, or Sgurr na Ciche in Gaelic, rises 742 m (2434 ft) on the northern side of Glencoe. The mountain forms part of the 'classic' view of the valley when entering it from the west.