Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Ballachulish from above the Pier.

This postcard, in the Valentines series, contains a view looking east across Ballachulish, with the Pap of Glencoe visible in the upper right. Located east of Glencoe, at the meeting of Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe, the name Ballachulish originates from the Gaelic meaning, 'village on the narrows.

The settlement initially grew around the nearby slate quarries in the eighteenth century, mined to supply tiles for roofing Victorian Glasgow. In 1903, a branch of the Callander and Oban Railway opened at Ballachulish, making the region more accessible.

The Pap of Glencoe, or Sgurr na Ciche in Gaelic, rises 742 m (2434 ft) on the northern side of Glencoe. The mountain forms part of the 'classic' view of the valley when entering it from the west.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ballachulish from above the Pier.

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

postcard; photograph; Ballachulish; Ballachulish Hotel; Glenachulish; Glencoe; mountains; slate; climbing; hotel; Pap of Glencoe; Sgurr na Ciche; Valentines series

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard, in the Valentines series, contains a view looking east across Ballachulish, with the Pap of Glencoe visible in the upper right. Located east of Glencoe, at the meeting of Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe, the name Ballachulish originates from the Gaelic meaning, 'village on the narrows.<br /> <br /> The settlement initially grew around the nearby slate quarries in the eighteenth century, mined to supply tiles for roofing Victorian Glasgow. In 1903, a branch of the Callander and Oban Railway opened at Ballachulish, making the region more accessible. <br /> <br /> The Pap of Glencoe, or Sgurr na Ciche in Gaelic, rises 742 m (2434 ft) on the northern side of Glencoe. The mountain forms part of the 'classic' view of the valley when entering it from the west.