Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Leven from above the Ballachulish Hotel
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_3487
PLACENAME
Ballachulish
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
35333
KEYWORDS
postcard
photograph
Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
Glenachulish
Glencoe
Loch Leven
mountains
slate
climbing
hotel
Pap of Glencoe
Sgurr na Ciche
Loch Leven from above the Ballachulish Hotel

This postcard contains an elevated view of Loch Leven, taken from above the Ballachulish Hotel. The slopes of the Pap of Glencoe, the distinctive mountain which dominates views of Glencoe from the west, can be seen on the right side of the photograph.

Located east of Glencoe, at the meeting of Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe, the name Ballachulish originates from the Gaelic meaning, 'village on the narrows.'

The settlement initially grew around the nearby slate quarries in the eighteenth century, mined to supply tiles for roofing Victorian Glasgow. In 1903, a branch of the Callander and Oban Railway opened at Ballachulish, making the region more accessible.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Leven from above the Ballachulish Hotel

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

postcard; photograph; Ballachulish; Ballachulish Hotel; Glenachulish; Glencoe; Loch Leven; mountains; slate; climbing; hotel; Pap of Glencoe; Sgurr na Ciche

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard contains an elevated view of Loch Leven, taken from above the Ballachulish Hotel. The slopes of the Pap of Glencoe, the distinctive mountain which dominates views of Glencoe from the west, can be seen on the right side of the photograph. <br /> <br /> Located east of Glencoe, at the meeting of Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe, the name Ballachulish originates from the Gaelic meaning, 'village on the narrows.' <br /> <br /> The settlement initially grew around the nearby slate quarries in the eighteenth century, mined to supply tiles for roofing Victorian Glasgow. In 1903, a branch of the Callander and Oban Railway opened at Ballachulish, making the region more accessible.