Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ballachulish from the Quarries
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_3489
PLACENAME
Ballachulish
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
35335
KEYWORDS
postcard
photograph
Ballachulish
quarrey
Glenachulish
Glencoe
Loch Leven
mountains
slate
Ballachulish from the Quarries

This postcard contains a view of the village of Ballachulish, as seen from one of the nearby slate quarries. Located east of Glencoe, at the meeting of Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe, the name Ballachulish originates from the Gaelic meaning, 'village on the narrows.'

The settlement initially grew around the nearby slate quarries in the eighteenth century, mined to supply tiles for roofing Victorian Glasgow. In 1903, a branch of the Callander and Oban Railway opened at Ballachulish, making the region more accessible.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ballachulish from the Quarries

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

postcard; photograph; Ballachulish; quarrey; Glenachulish; Glencoe; Loch Leven; mountains; slate

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard contains a view of the village of Ballachulish, as seen from one of the nearby slate quarries. Located east of Glencoe, at the meeting of Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe, the name Ballachulish originates from the Gaelic meaning, 'village on the narrows.' <br /> <br /> The settlement initially grew around the nearby slate quarries in the eighteenth century, mined to supply tiles for roofing Victorian Glasgow. In 1903, a branch of the Callander and Oban Railway opened at Ballachulish, making the region more accessible.