Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The narrows connecting Loch Linnhe and Loch Leven at Balachulish.
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_3491
PLACENAME
Ballachulish
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
35337
KEYWORDS
postcard
photograph
Ballachulish
Glenachulish
Glencoe
Loch Leven
Loch Linnhe
mountains
slate
narrows
The narrows connecting Loch Linnhe and Loch Leven at Balachulish.

This postcard contains a view looking west from Ballachulish, to the narrows connecting Loch Leven to Loch Linnhe. Located east of Glencoe, at the meeting of Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe, the name Ballachulish originates from the Gaelic meaning, 'village on the narrows.'

The settlement initially grew up around the nearby slate quarries in the eighteenth century, mined to supply tiles for roofing Victorian Glasgow. In 1903, a branch of the Callander and Oban Railway opened at Ballachulish, making the region more accessible.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The narrows connecting Loch Linnhe and Loch Leven at Balachulish.

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

postcard; photograph; Ballachulish; Glenachulish; Glencoe; Loch Leven; Loch Linnhe; mountains; slate; narrows

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard contains a view looking west from Ballachulish, to the narrows connecting Loch Leven to Loch Linnhe. Located east of Glencoe, at the meeting of Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe, the name Ballachulish originates from the Gaelic meaning, 'village on the narrows.' <br /> <br /> The settlement initially grew up around the nearby slate quarries in the eighteenth century, mined to supply tiles for roofing Victorian Glasgow. In 1903, a branch of the Callander and Oban Railway opened at Ballachulish, making the region more accessible.