Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Thurso Castle from the mouth of the River Thurso
EXTERNAL ID
CAITHHORZ_T41
PLACENAME
Thurso
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
SOURCE
Caithness Horizons
ASSET ID
3534
KEYWORDS
harbours
boats
castles
Thurso Castle from the mouth of the River Thurso

A photograph of Thurso Harbour and Castle.

Situated at the mouth of the River Thurso, the harbour has been established here since the 900s, when the Vikings used it as a port and fishing base. At this time, Thurso was an important gateway to the mainland. The name 'Thurso' comes from 'Thorsa', meaning 'Thor's River' in the Norse language.

During the 1200s the Scots evicted the Vikings from the Caithness area, but Thurso continued to develop as an important fishing port. By the 1850s a new harbour was being built at Scrabster, to the west of Thurso, reducing the importance of the river harbour. However, the area around Thurso continued to develop, with steamer links to Orkney, Shetland, Oban and Leith.

The first Thurso Castle was built in 1660. A new castle was built nearby in the 19th century by Sir John George Tollemache Sinclair, 3rd Baronet. The castle was the seat of the Sinclairs of Ulbster. It was built in the style of a French chateau close to the shore on the east of the river mouth. During World War II a sea mine exploded nearby and the castle became structurally unsafe.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Caithness Horizons

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Thurso Castle from the mouth of the River Thurso

CAITHNESS: Thurso

harbours; boats; castles

Caithness Horizons

Caithness Horizons

A photograph of Thurso Harbour and Castle.<br /> <br /> Situated at the mouth of the River Thurso, the harbour has been established here since the 900s, when the Vikings used it as a port and fishing base. At this time, Thurso was an important gateway to the mainland. The name 'Thurso' comes from 'Thorsa', meaning 'Thor's River' in the Norse language.<br /> <br /> During the 1200s the Scots evicted the Vikings from the Caithness area, but Thurso continued to develop as an important fishing port. By the 1850s a new harbour was being built at Scrabster, to the west of Thurso, reducing the importance of the river harbour. However, the area around Thurso continued to develop, with steamer links to Orkney, Shetland, Oban and Leith.<br /> <br /> The first Thurso Castle was built in 1660. A new castle was built nearby in the 19th century by Sir John George Tollemache Sinclair, 3rd Baronet. The castle was the seat of the Sinclairs of Ulbster. It was built in the style of a French chateau close to the shore on the east of the river mouth. During World War II a sea mine exploded nearby and the castle became structurally unsafe. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: joannehowdle@caithnesshorizons.co.uk">Caithness Horizons</a><br />