Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The "Waters of Kylesku" with Quinag on the far shore
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_3745
PLACENAME
Kylesku
DISTRICT
Eddrachillis and Durness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Eddrachillis
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
35581
KEYWORDS
mountains
lochs
The "Waters of Kylesku"  with Quinag on the far shore

Kylesku is a small settlement in north-west Sutherland, where Loch Glencoul and Loch Glendhu join to flow through Loch a' Chairn into Eddrachillis Bay.

The Kylesku narrows were crossed by a ferry from around 1800 until a bridge was built in 1984. The first ferries used were rowing boats. Any commercial traffic at this time comprised of cattle travelling to central Scotland and they would swim across the narrows. Car-carrying ferries, like the one shown on the postcard, were introduced between the World Wars. In 1975, the first ferry capable of transporting commercial vehicles was introduced. The Kylesku ferry remained free of charge for most of its operational years.

Quinag is a mountain massif found in Assynt, Sutherland. It has three distinct Corbett peaks (Scottish mountains between 2500 ft and 3000 ft with a drop of at least 500 ft on all sides) along its Y-shaped ridge. At 808m (2651ft), Sail Gharbh is the highest of these, followed by Sail Gorm (776m/2546 ft) and Spidean Coinich (764m/2506 ft). Geologically Quinag is made up of Torridonian sandstone on Lewisian gneiss with a thin layer of Cambrian quartzite. The name Quinag is an Anglicisation of the Gaelic 'cuinneag' meaning a milking pail, on account of the mountain's shape.

The 8400 acre Quinag estate was purchased by the John Muir Trust in 2005.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The "Waters of Kylesku" with Quinag on the far shore

SUTHERLAND: Eddrachillis

mountains; lochs

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Kylesku is a small settlement in north-west Sutherland, where Loch Glencoul and Loch Glendhu join to flow through Loch a' Chairn into Eddrachillis Bay.<br /> <br /> The Kylesku narrows were crossed by a ferry from around 1800 until a bridge was built in 1984. The first ferries used were rowing boats. Any commercial traffic at this time comprised of cattle travelling to central Scotland and they would swim across the narrows. Car-carrying ferries, like the one shown on the postcard, were introduced between the World Wars. In 1975, the first ferry capable of transporting commercial vehicles was introduced. The Kylesku ferry remained free of charge for most of its operational years.<br /> <br /> Quinag is a mountain massif found in Assynt, Sutherland. It has three distinct Corbett peaks (Scottish mountains between 2500 ft and 3000 ft with a drop of at least 500 ft on all sides) along its Y-shaped ridge. At 808m (2651ft), Sail Gharbh is the highest of these, followed by Sail Gorm (776m/2546 ft) and Spidean Coinich (764m/2506 ft). Geologically Quinag is made up of Torridonian sandstone on Lewisian gneiss with a thin layer of Cambrian quartzite. The name Quinag is an Anglicisation of the Gaelic 'cuinneag' meaning a milking pail, on account of the mountain's shape.<br /> <br /> The 8400 acre Quinag estate was purchased by the John Muir Trust in 2005.