Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornie Village and Bridge, Wester Ross
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_3859_B
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s; 1980s
ASSET ID
35695
KEYWORDS
villages
bridges
road bridges
Dornie Village and Bridge, Wester Ross

A ferro concrete bridge spanning Loch Long dominates the village of Dornie, in the foreground. The bridge crosses to Ardelve and replaced a vital ferry link between the parishes of Kintail and Lochalsh.

This first bridge at Dornie was officially opened on 30 April 1940 after years of debate in the community as to the necessity of a permanent structure. It had to incorporate an opening span to ensure that Loch Long remained a viable waterway. On completion was 229 metres long with a roadway of 5 metres and a walkway of 1.5 metres. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 12 metre clear waterway. Tolls came into effect on 1 May 1940 but were abandoned in 1946. The bridge was demolished and replaced with a much larger two lane structure by-passing the village of Dornie in 1991.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornie Village and Bridge, Wester Ross

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s; 1980s

villages; bridges; road bridges

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

A ferro concrete bridge spanning Loch Long dominates the village of Dornie, in the foreground. The bridge crosses to Ardelve and replaced a vital ferry link between the parishes of Kintail and Lochalsh. <br /> <br /> This first bridge at Dornie was officially opened on 30 April 1940 after years of debate in the community as to the necessity of a permanent structure. It had to incorporate an opening span to ensure that Loch Long remained a viable waterway. On completion was 229 metres long with a roadway of 5 metres and a walkway of 1.5 metres. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 12 metre clear waterway. Tolls came into effect on 1 May 1940 but were abandoned in 1946. The bridge was demolished and replaced with a much larger two lane structure by-passing the village of Dornie in 1991.