Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Loch Ness Monster sights the Government tug boat, Fort Augustus
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_4392
PLACENAME
Loch Ness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
36188
KEYWORDS
Nessie
sea monsters
legends
castles
humour
The Loch Ness Monster sights the Government tug boat, Fort Augustus

Postcard with cartoon image of Loch Ness monster from Fort Augustus.

Fort Augustus is situated at the south west end of Loch Ness in the Great Glen. It was originally named after St Cummein who built a church there and the Gaelic name is still Cill Chuimein. The name 'Fort Augustus' dates from the building of a fort after the defeat of the 1715 Jacobite Rising. The fort was named after one of George II's sons who was later to become Duke of Cumberland and found fame and notoriety during the Jacobite Rising of 1745-46.

Little of the original fort remains but some parts were incorporated into the Benedictine Abbey which was built in 1876.

The town is at the point where Loch Ness meets the Caledonian Canal. The canal bisects Fort Augustus with an impressive flight of locks.

Loch Ness is the largest body of fresh water in Great Britain at 39 km long and 132 m deep. The loch is fed by 40 rivers and streams and flows to the sea through the Caledonian Canal and the River Ness. It is on an active side-slip fault

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Loch Ness Monster sights the Government tug boat, Fort Augustus

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

Nessie; sea monsters; legends; castles; humour

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries - Illustrated postcards

Postcard with cartoon image of Loch Ness monster from Fort Augustus.<br /> <br /> Fort Augustus is situated at the south west end of Loch Ness in the Great Glen. It was originally named after St Cummein who built a church there and the Gaelic name is still Cill Chuimein. The name 'Fort Augustus' dates from the building of a fort after the defeat of the 1715 Jacobite Rising. The fort was named after one of George II's sons who was later to become Duke of Cumberland and found fame and notoriety during the Jacobite Rising of 1745-46.<br /> <br /> Little of the original fort remains but some parts were incorporated into the Benedictine Abbey which was built in 1876.<br /> <br /> The town is at the point where Loch Ness meets the Caledonian Canal. The canal bisects Fort Augustus with an impressive flight of locks.<br /> <br /> Loch Ness is the largest body of fresh water in Great Britain at 39 km long and 132 m deep. The loch is fed by 40 rivers and streams and flows to the sea through the Caledonian Canal and the River Ness. It is on an active side-slip fault