Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Knockbain School
EXTERNAL ID
AB_HFM_SCHOOL_049
PLACENAME
Newtonmore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
CREATOR
Clare Maclean
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
363
KEYWORDS
corrugated iron
iron-clad building
migration of school children
Knockbain School

The front door of Knockbain School at the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore. This corrugated iron-clad building was originally built as an addition to the existing school in the small community of Knockbain by Kirkhill, 13 kilometres from Inverness. In the 1920s there was a move to bring children from the poverty of the urban areas of the central belt to the rural Highlands in order to give them an education and a life on the land. This building was erected to house this influx of new pupils.

The school was originally erected about 1925 at Knockbain by Kirkhill, 13 kilometres from Inverness and was moved to the museum in 1998, opening in spring 2000. It is a pre-fabricated, timber framed, iron-clad building of a kind that was common in Scotland from the mid-1800s and measures 12 metres by 6 metres. It encloses 4 timber board rooms, namely a large classroom with a range to provide heat, a cloakroom with 3 washbasins, a small teacher's room and an adjoining teacher's toilet. The picture shows the large windows incorporated into the building to give a light, airy interior.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Knockbain School

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

corrugated iron; iron-clad building; migration of school children

Am Baile

Highland Folk Museum Schoolhouse

The front door of Knockbain School at the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore. This corrugated iron-clad building was originally built as an addition to the existing school in the small community of Knockbain by Kirkhill, 13 kilometres from Inverness. In the 1920s there was a move to bring children from the poverty of the urban areas of the central belt to the rural Highlands in order to give them an education and a life on the land. This building was erected to house this influx of new pupils.<br /> <br /> The school was originally erected about 1925 at Knockbain by Kirkhill, 13 kilometres from Inverness and was moved to the museum in 1998, opening in spring 2000. It is a pre-fabricated, timber framed, iron-clad building of a kind that was common in Scotland from the mid-1800s and measures 12 metres by 6 metres. It encloses 4 timber board rooms, namely a large classroom with a range to provide heat, a cloakroom with 3 washbasins, a small teacher's room and an adjoining teacher's toilet. The picture shows the large windows incorporated into the building to give a light, airy interior.