Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunvegan Castle from the west, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5437
PLACENAME
Dunvegan
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37081
KEYWORDS
Dunvegan Castle
Island of Skye
MacLeods
Fairy Tower
traditions
fairies
Dunvegan Castle from the west, Isle of Skye

Dunvegan Castle as seen from the west, Island of Skye. Almost totally surrounded by water, Dunvegan Castle is well-equipped to defend itself against attack. Seat of the chiefs of the MacLeods, the castle was started in the 15th century and added to in each century. Today it is a popular tourist attraction.

Bound on three sides by rocky cliffs and the waters of Loch Dunvegan, and protected on the landward side by a deep-cut ditch, the castle was virtually invulnerable to attack. The only entrance was through the ancient sea-gate which faced into the loch. In 1748 the gate was superseded by a bridge spanning the ditch.

The most distinctive structure at Dunvegan is the great keep, which dates back to the 14th century. It was the creation of Malcolm, the 3rd MacLeod chief. At over 15 metres tall and with 3 metre thick walls, the keep served as the dungeon tower and also contained vaulted basements, the great hall, private apartments, and bed chambers. The exterior turrets and observation tower are later additions. The only major repair to the keep has been the tower's re-roofing in 1790.

At the opposite end of the eastern wing is situated the Fairy Tower, built c.1500 by Alasdair Crotach, the 8th chief. This was a purely residential tower. The name Fairy Tower most likely derives from the presence of the Fairy Flag, a relic of the clan's history. At least 1,000 years old, the Fairy Flag is said to be endowed with magical powers that have ensured the MacLeods presence at Dunvegan

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunvegan Castle from the west, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Duirinish

Dunvegan Castle; Island of Skye; MacLeods; Fairy Tower; traditions; fairies

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Dunvegan Castle as seen from the west, Island of Skye. Almost totally surrounded by water, Dunvegan Castle is well-equipped to defend itself against attack. Seat of the chiefs of the MacLeods, the castle was started in the 15th century and added to in each century. Today it is a popular tourist attraction.<br /> <br /> Bound on three sides by rocky cliffs and the waters of Loch Dunvegan, and protected on the landward side by a deep-cut ditch, the castle was virtually invulnerable to attack. The only entrance was through the ancient sea-gate which faced into the loch. In 1748 the gate was superseded by a bridge spanning the ditch.<br /> <br /> The most distinctive structure at Dunvegan is the great keep, which dates back to the 14th century. It was the creation of Malcolm, the 3rd MacLeod chief. At over 15 metres tall and with 3 metre thick walls, the keep served as the dungeon tower and also contained vaulted basements, the great hall, private apartments, and bed chambers. The exterior turrets and observation tower are later additions. The only major repair to the keep has been the tower's re-roofing in 1790.<br /> <br /> At the opposite end of the eastern wing is situated the Fairy Tower, built c.1500 by Alasdair Crotach, the 8th chief. This was a purely residential tower. The name Fairy Tower most likely derives from the presence of the Fairy Flag, a relic of the clan's history. At least 1,000 years old, the Fairy Flag is said to be endowed with magical powers that have ensured the MacLeods presence at Dunvegan