Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Stacking peats outside a Thatched Crofthouse, Bornesketaig, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5500
PLACENAME
Bornesketaig
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmuir
DATE OF IMAGE
1966
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37136
KEYWORDS
crofthouse
thatched cottage
thatch
peat
Borneskitaig
Bornesketaig
Bornaskitaig
Stacking peats outside a Thatched Crofthouse, Bornesketaig, Isle of Skye

The neatly thatched cottage pictured is situated at Bornesketaig in Kilmuir in the north west of the Isle of Skye, and was owned at the time by Neil Beaton, shown here stacking peats. The photograph was taken in 1966 by Finlay MacLeod, a photographer working for J. Arthur Dixon, the well known postcard publisher.

The croft house, at 40 Bornesketaig on the north west coast of the Trotternish peninsula, is a rare example of a traditional dwelling on Skye, with a contemporary thatched and cobbled byre alongside. It was built in about 1880 along with several others for Gillies brothers, and was occupied until 1980, latterly by Mr and Mrs Beaton. A category 'A' listed building, it was acquired by the National Trust for Scotland, re-thatched and restored inside in the late 1990s to provide self-catering accommodation, and is now known as Beaton's Cottage.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Stacking peats outside a Thatched Crofthouse, Bornesketaig, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Kilmuir

1960s

crofthouse; thatched cottage; thatch; peat; Borneskitaig; Bornesketaig; Bornaskitaig

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

The neatly thatched cottage pictured is situated at Bornesketaig in Kilmuir in the north west of the Isle of Skye, and was owned at the time by Neil Beaton, shown here stacking peats. The photograph was taken in 1966 by Finlay MacLeod, a photographer working for J. Arthur Dixon, the well known postcard publisher.<br /> <br /> The croft house, at 40 Bornesketaig on the north west coast of the Trotternish peninsula, is a rare example of a traditional dwelling on Skye, with a contemporary thatched and cobbled byre alongside. It was built in about 1880 along with several others for Gillies brothers, and was occupied until 1980, latterly by Mr and Mrs Beaton. A category 'A' listed building, it was acquired by the National Trust for Scotland, re-thatched and restored inside in the late 1990s to provide self-catering accommodation, and is now known as Beaton's Cottage.