Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Looking over the sea to Skye from Glenelg
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5563
PLACENAME
Glenelg
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
DATE OF IMAGE
c1888
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37188
KEYWORDS
war memorial
Glenelg Old Pier
Glenelg Quay
Glenelg War Memorial
Sound of Sleat
Kylerhea Narrows
coastline
Looking over the sea to Skye from Glenelg

The War Memorial at Glenelg is sited overlooking Glenelg Bay with Kylerhea on the Isle of Skye in the background, across the Sound of Sleat. The old pier lies to the right. The memorial comprises three figures sculpted in bronze - an angel representing Victory, a Highland soldier with head bowed representing Peace and a kneeling female figure representing Humanity. Other symbols include a discarded drum, a coronet and a dove. The memorial was commissioned by Lady Scott, formerly of Eilanreach, and was sculpted by Louis Reid Deuchars (1870 - 1917) who was working for the architect Sir Robert Stodart Lorimer (1864 - 1929). It was dedicated on 23 October 1920, and unveiled by Sir John Banner and Lady Banner. Among the 20 names listed on the memorial is that of Major Valentine Fleming, father of author and James Bond creator, Ian Fleming.

Glenelg is a small village on the shore of Glenelg Bay, looking across to the Isle of Skye. It is bound on three sides by sea - Loch Duich, the Sound of Sleat and Loch Hourn - and has only one access road over Mam Ratagan from Glen Shiel. Known until the 18th century as Kirkton, the village grew up round a parish church, and expanded with the arrival of the army and the building of the Bernera Barracks in 1717. The village is well known as the location of two well preserved Iron Age brochs, and was once the main crossing point for cattle droves from Skye to the mainland. A small ferry still plies the route during the summer months.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Looking over the sea to Skye from Glenelg

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1940s; 1950s

war memorial; Glenelg Old Pier; Glenelg Quay; Glenelg War Memorial; Sound of Sleat; Kylerhea Narrows; coastline

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

The War Memorial at Glenelg is sited overlooking Glenelg Bay with Kylerhea on the Isle of Skye in the background, across the Sound of Sleat. The old pier lies to the right. The memorial comprises three figures sculpted in bronze - an angel representing Victory, a Highland soldier with head bowed representing Peace and a kneeling female figure representing Humanity. Other symbols include a discarded drum, a coronet and a dove. The memorial was commissioned by Lady Scott, formerly of Eilanreach, and was sculpted by Louis Reid Deuchars (1870 - 1917) who was working for the architect Sir Robert Stodart Lorimer (1864 - 1929). It was dedicated on 23 October 1920, and unveiled by Sir John Banner and Lady Banner. Among the 20 names listed on the memorial is that of Major Valentine Fleming, father of author and James Bond creator, Ian Fleming. <br /> <br /> Glenelg is a small village on the shore of Glenelg Bay, looking across to the Isle of Skye. It is bound on three sides by sea - Loch Duich, the Sound of Sleat and Loch Hourn - and has only one access road over Mam Ratagan from Glen Shiel. Known until the 18th century as Kirkton, the village grew up round a parish church, and expanded with the arrival of the army and the building of the Bernera Barracks in 1717. The village is well known as the location of two well preserved Iron Age brochs, and was once the main crossing point for cattle droves from Skye to the mainland. A small ferry still plies the route during the summer months.