Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
British Aluminium Factory Foyers
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5583
PLACENAME
Foyers
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37208
KEYWORDS
postcards
Foyers
Loch Ness
industries
British Aluminium Company
aluminium
factories
hydro-electricity
British Aluminium Factory Foyers

This postcard shows the British Aluminium Factory at Foyers.

The British Aluminium Company was formed in 1895. The company bought exclusive rights to the Héroult process - the electrolytic method of producing aluminium - discovered in 1886. The company acquired the estates of Gorthleck, Wester Aberchalder and Lower Foyers, which included the spectacular Falls of Foyers, on the east side of Loch Ness. They planned to use the water of the falls to produce cheap power for the new industry. The factory the company built on the shores of Loch Ness was the first to produce aluminium in the United Kingdom and the first in Great Britain to use water power to generate electricity.

Materials were transported by boats using the Caledonian Canal and a light railway connected the wharf and the factory. A thriving community developed around the industry.

The factory ceased aluminium production in 1967. Canal narrow boats were built briefly at the plant but in 1973 it was adapted to serve as hydro-electric power station feeding the national grid.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

British Aluminium Factory Foyers

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1900s

postcards; Foyers; Loch Ness; industries; British Aluminium Company; aluminium; factories; hydro-electricity

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the British Aluminium Factory at Foyers.<br /> <br /> The British Aluminium Company was formed in 1895. The company bought exclusive rights to the Héroult process - the electrolytic method of producing aluminium - discovered in 1886. The company acquired the estates of Gorthleck, Wester Aberchalder and Lower Foyers, which included the spectacular Falls of Foyers, on the east side of Loch Ness. They planned to use the water of the falls to produce cheap power for the new industry. The factory the company built on the shores of Loch Ness was the first to produce aluminium in the United Kingdom and the first in Great Britain to use water power to generate electricity.<br /> <br /> Materials were transported by boats using the Caledonian Canal and a light railway connected the wharf and the factory. A thriving community developed around the industry.<br /> <br /> The factory ceased aluminium production in 1967. Canal narrow boats were built briefly at the plant but in 1973 it was adapted to serve as hydro-electric power station feeding the national grid.