Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Cluanie Inn and Tomdoun Road
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5596
PLACENAME
Glen Cluanie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37221
KEYWORDS
postcards
Rhiabuie
inns
Glen Moriston
kingshouses
roads
highways
Macdonnells
Tomdoun
Glen Garry
Loch Loyne
hydro-electricty
The Cluanie Inn and Tomdoun Road

This postcard shows the Cluanie Inn and Tomdoun Road.

Once known as Rhiabuie, the inn is situated in Glen Moriston at the western end of Loch Cluanie.

The original Kingshouse inn was built in 1787 on the military road which joined Fort Augustus and the fort at Bernera.

Kingshouses were set up in the eighteenth century with the co-operation between the government and local landowners, in this case Macdonnell of Glenmoriston. They were built for the construction crews as well as local people and were so-called because they were on the newly built King's highway.

At Cluanie the military road is joined by a road built by Thomas Telford in the early nineteenth century which went over the hills to Tomdoun in Glen Garry but which ceased to be used with the building of a damn and the expansion of Loch Loyne as part of the Garry-Moriston Hydro-Electric Scheme.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Cluanie Inn and Tomdoun Road

INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston

1920s; 1930s

postcards; Rhiabuie; inns; Glen Moriston; kingshouses; roads; highways; Macdonnells; Tomdoun; Glen Garry; Loch Loyne; hydro-electricty

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the Cluanie Inn and Tomdoun Road.<br /> <br /> Once known as Rhiabuie, the inn is situated in Glen Moriston at the western end of Loch Cluanie.<br /> <br /> The original Kingshouse inn was built in 1787 on the military road which joined Fort Augustus and the fort at Bernera. <br /> <br /> Kingshouses were set up in the eighteenth century with the co-operation between the government and local landowners, in this case Macdonnell of Glenmoriston. They were built for the construction crews as well as local people and were so-called because they were on the newly built King's highway.<br /> <br /> At Cluanie the military road is joined by a road built by Thomas Telford in the early nineteenth century which went over the hills to Tomdoun in Glen Garry but which ceased to be used with the building of a damn and the expansion of Loch Loyne as part of the Garry-Moriston Hydro-Electric Scheme.