Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Natural Arch Cove, Inverasdale
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5617
PLACENAME
Inverasdale
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37241
KEYWORDS
postcards
crofting
settlements
Rubha nan Sasan
Loch Ewe
naval bases
Arctic convoys
coast battery
Independent Coast Authority
The Natural Arch Cove, Inverasdale

This postcard shows the natural arch at Cove, Inverasdale.

Cove is one of a number of small crofting settlements on the west coast of Loch Ewe in Wester Ross. During the early part of the nineteenth century the inhabitants of the inland glens were cleared to the coast to make way for sheep farming.

Loch Ewe was an important naval base during both World Wars and in World War II it served as an assembly point for Arctic convoys to Russia.

Beyond Cove at Rubha nan Sasan, where the single track road ends, there are the remains of an extensive World War II emergency coast battery. Also known as the 'Loch Ewe Defences', the surviving structures consist of two gun houses (each originally housing a 6" Mark 7 (naval) gun), a battery observation post, two searchlight emplacements, engine houses or generating rooms, magazines, and two emplacements for anti-aircraft guns.

The site was manned from January to September 1942 by 308 Independent Coast Battery (Royal Artillery) and from September 1942 until April 1944 by 154 Independent Battery. Thereafter it was placed on a care and maintenance basis. There is no record of the battery ever been fired in anger.

In 1999 a memorial stone to those who died on the convoys was unveiled.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Natural Arch Cove, Inverasdale

ROSS: Gairloch

1930s; 1940s

postcards; crofting; settlements; Rubha nan Sasan; Loch Ewe; naval bases; Arctic convoys; coast battery; Independent Coast Authority

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the natural arch at Cove, Inverasdale.<br /> <br /> Cove is one of a number of small crofting settlements on the west coast of Loch Ewe in Wester Ross. During the early part of the nineteenth century the inhabitants of the inland glens were cleared to the coast to make way for sheep farming.<br /> <br /> Loch Ewe was an important naval base during both World Wars and in World War II it served as an assembly point for Arctic convoys to Russia.<br /> <br /> Beyond Cove at Rubha nan Sasan, where the single track road ends, there are the remains of an extensive World War II emergency coast battery. Also known as the 'Loch Ewe Defences', the surviving structures consist of two gun houses (each originally housing a 6" Mark 7 (naval) gun), a battery observation post, two searchlight emplacements, engine houses or generating rooms, magazines, and two emplacements for anti-aircraft guns. <br /> <br /> The site was manned from January to September 1942 by 308 Independent Coast Battery (Royal Artillery) and from September 1942 until April 1944 by 154 Independent Battery. Thereafter it was placed on a care and maintenance basis. There is no record of the battery ever been fired in anger.<br /> <br /> In 1999 a memorial stone to those who died on the convoys was unveiled.