Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Sands, Firemore, Inverasdale
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5618
PLACENAME
Firemore
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37242
KEYWORDS
postcards
crofting
settlements
Loch Ewe
naval bases
Arctic convoys
Stone of Destiny
coronation
The Sands, Firemore, Inverasdale

This postcard shows the sands, Firemore, Inverasdale.

Firemore and Inverasadale are two of a number of small crofting settlements on the west coast of Loch Ewe in Wester Ross. During the early part of the nineteenth century the inhabitants of the inland glens were cleared to the coast to make way for sheep farming.

Loch Ewe was an important naval base during both World Wars and in World War II it served as an assembly point for Arctic convoys to Russia.

Firemore has a more infamous claim to fame. On Christmas Day 1950 Scotland's coronation stone, the Stone of Destiny, was taken from beneath the Coronation Chair in Westminster Abbey by four students, one of whom, Kay Matheson, came from Firemore.

The stone was broken in two during its removal. John Rollo, founder of Rollo Industries, had the stone mended and looked after it until it was returned to Arbroath Abbey four months later. Rollo had a small factory which made tractor parts on the Matheson croft at Firemore and it is thought that the stone was hidden here. The police searched the sheds at Firemore. Some would like to believe that the stone which was returned to Arbroath Abbey was a copy and that the real stone still lies hidden in Wester Ross.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Sands, Firemore, Inverasdale

ROSS: Gairloch

1930s; 1940s

postcards; crofting; settlements; Loch Ewe; naval bases; Arctic convoys; Stone of Destiny; coronation

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the sands, Firemore, Inverasdale.<br /> <br /> Firemore and Inverasadale are two of a number of small crofting settlements on the west coast of Loch Ewe in Wester Ross. During the early part of the nineteenth century the inhabitants of the inland glens were cleared to the coast to make way for sheep farming.<br /> <br /> Loch Ewe was an important naval base during both World Wars and in World War II it served as an assembly point for Arctic convoys to Russia.<br /> <br /> Firemore has a more infamous claim to fame. On Christmas Day 1950 Scotland's coronation stone, the Stone of Destiny, was taken from beneath the Coronation Chair in Westminster Abbey by four students, one of whom, Kay Matheson, came from Firemore.<br /> <br /> The stone was broken in two during its removal. John Rollo, founder of Rollo Industries, had the stone mended and looked after it until it was returned to Arbroath Abbey four months later. Rollo had a small factory which made tractor parts on the Matheson croft at Firemore and it is thought that the stone was hidden here. The police searched the sheds at Firemore. Some would like to believe that the stone which was returned to Arbroath Abbey was a copy and that the real stone still lies hidden in Wester Ross.