Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kilmuir Easter Church, and War Memorial
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5676
PLACENAME
Kilmuir Easter
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Kilmuir Easter
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37304
KEYWORDS
postcards
churches
towers
Earls of Cromartie
George Munro
Margaret Dunbar
Kilmuir Easter Church, and War Memorial

This postcard shows Kilmuir Easter Church and War memorial.

The church is situated on the north shore of the Cromarty Firth, four miles north east of Invergordon. It was built in 1798 but at the east end there is a much older structure and a round tower.

The older part is probably part of an earlier church, the Church of St Mary, from which the parish takes its name - chapel from the Gaelic 'kil' and Mary from 'muir'. It is used as the burial vault of the Earls of Cromartie.

The tower bears the inscription 'Beigit 1616' and the initials and arms of George Munro of Milntown and his second wife Margaret Dunbar. In 1838 it was used as a belfry.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kilmuir Easter Church, and War Memorial

ROSS: Kilmuir Easter

1920s; 1930s

postcards; churches; towers; Earls of Cromartie; George Munro; Margaret Dunbar

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Kilmuir Easter Church and War memorial.<br /> <br /> The church is situated on the north shore of the Cromarty Firth, four miles north east of Invergordon. It was built in 1798 but at the east end there is a much older structure and a round tower.<br /> <br /> The older part is probably part of an earlier church, the Church of St Mary, from which the parish takes its name - chapel from the Gaelic 'kil' and Mary from 'muir'. It is used as the burial vault of the Earls of Cromartie.<br /> <br /> The tower bears the inscription 'Beigit 1616' and the initials and arms of George Munro of Milntown and his second wife Margaret Dunbar. In 1838 it was used as a belfry.