Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
General air view of Kingussie
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5692
PLACENAME
Kingussie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37320
KEYWORDS
Badenoch
General air view of Kingussie

This postcard shows an aerial view of Kingussie, a village located approximately 70 km south of Inverness.

Prior to the mid-to-late 18th century the principal settlement in this area was Ruthven, located on the opposite side of the River Spey to Kingussie. There had been a castle at Ruthven since at least the 14th century, this being replaced in 1724 by Ruthven Barracks, which was burned by Jacobite forces in 1746 and thereafter abandoned.

Ruthven's decline was compounded by the building of a bridge over the Spey at Ralia which superseded the ferry at Ruthven, and by the Duke of Gordon's decision at the end of the 18th century to establish Kingussie as a centre of woollen manufacture. The Duke of Gordon, the then owner of the Kingussie estate, created a planned village and set up a number of mills, in 1799 advertising plots for sale in the village to "Tradesmen, Manufacturers and Shop-keepers who may be inclined to settle there". The attempted enterprise was unsuccessful and growth was limited, but the opening of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in 1863, which passed through Kingussie, brought new prosperity and development to the village.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

General air view of Kingussie

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

Badenoch

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows an aerial view of Kingussie, a village located approximately 70 km south of Inverness.<br /> <br /> Prior to the mid-to-late 18th century the principal settlement in this area was Ruthven, located on the opposite side of the River Spey to Kingussie. There had been a castle at Ruthven since at least the 14th century, this being replaced in 1724 by Ruthven Barracks, which was burned by Jacobite forces in 1746 and thereafter abandoned.<br /> <br /> Ruthven's decline was compounded by the building of a bridge over the Spey at Ralia which superseded the ferry at Ruthven, and by the Duke of Gordon's decision at the end of the 18th century to establish Kingussie as a centre of woollen manufacture. The Duke of Gordon, the then owner of the Kingussie estate, created a planned village and set up a number of mills, in 1799 advertising plots for sale in the village to "Tradesmen, Manufacturers and Shop-keepers who may be inclined to settle there". The attempted enterprise was unsuccessful and growth was limited, but the opening of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in 1863, which passed through Kingussie, brought new prosperity and development to the village.