Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duke of Gordon Hotel, Kingussie
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5696_AT
PLACENAME
Kingussie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
37326
KEYWORDS
Badenoch
building
buildings
Duke of Gordon Hotel, Kingussie

This photograph shows the Duke of Gordon Hotel at Kingussie, a village located approximately 70 km south of Inverness. The hotel, on Newtonmore Road, was designed by Alexander Cattanach and constructed in 1906.

Kingussie in its modern form was brought about by the Duke of Gordon's decision at the end of the 18th century to establish the village as a centre of woollen manufacture. The Duke of Gordon, the then owner of the Kingussie estate, created a planned village and set up a number of mills, in 1799 advertising plots for sale in the village to "Tradesmen, Manufacturers and Shop-keepers who may be inclined to settle there". The attempted enterprise was unsuccessful and growth was limited. In October 1861, Queen Victoria stopped at the inn that then occupied the site of the Duke of Gordon Hotel, and described Kingussie in her diary as "a very straggling place with few cottages". However, the opening of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in 1863, which passed through Kingussie, brought new prosperity and development to the village.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duke of Gordon Hotel, Kingussie

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

2000s

Badenoch; building; buildings

Andrew Taylor

This photograph shows the Duke of Gordon Hotel at Kingussie, a village located approximately 70 km south of Inverness. The hotel, on Newtonmore Road, was designed by Alexander Cattanach and constructed in 1906. <br /> <br /> Kingussie in its modern form was brought about by the Duke of Gordon's decision at the end of the 18th century to establish the village as a centre of woollen manufacture. The Duke of Gordon, the then owner of the Kingussie estate, created a planned village and set up a number of mills, in 1799 advertising plots for sale in the village to "Tradesmen, Manufacturers and Shop-keepers who may be inclined to settle there". The attempted enterprise was unsuccessful and growth was limited. In October 1861, Queen Victoria stopped at the inn that then occupied the site of the Duke of Gordon Hotel, and described Kingussie in her diary as "a very straggling place with few cottages". However, the opening of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in 1863, which passed through Kingussie, brought new prosperity and development to the village.