Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sutherland Arms Hotel from the Loch, Lairg
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5724
PLACENAME
Lairg
DISTRICT
Golspie, Rogart and Lairg
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Lairg
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37352
KEYWORDS
building
buildings
rowing boat
boat
Sutherland Arms Hotel from the Loch, Lairg

The village of Lairg in Sutherland lies approximately 18 km north of Bonar Bridge. The loch referred to in the postcard's title is Loch Shin.

The Sutherland Arms Hotel expanded considerably after the arrival of the Sutherland Railway line in 1868, although there had been an inn on the site since the mid-18th century. The Hotel drew much of its trade from anglers, who came to fish in the hill lochs and on the River Shin. During World War II a military training camp was established in the area and the Hotel was used as a garrison for the British troops who attended the camp.

The Sutherland Arms Hotel was demolished in December 2006, and was replaced by a number of apartment blocks and a new hotel.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sutherland Arms Hotel from the Loch, Lairg

SUTHERLAND: Lairg

building; buildings; rowing boat; boat;

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

The village of Lairg in Sutherland lies approximately 18 km north of Bonar Bridge. The loch referred to in the postcard's title is Loch Shin. <br /> <br /> The Sutherland Arms Hotel expanded considerably after the arrival of the Sutherland Railway line in 1868, although there had been an inn on the site since the mid-18th century. The Hotel drew much of its trade from anglers, who came to fish in the hill lochs and on the River Shin. During World War II a military training camp was established in the area and the Hotel was used as a garrison for the British troops who attended the camp. <br /> <br /> The Sutherland Arms Hotel was demolished in December 2006, and was replaced by a number of apartment blocks and a new hotel.