Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
High Street, Newtonmore in Winter
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5797
PLACENAME
Newtonmore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37433
KEYWORDS
snow
winter
weather
house
houses
building
buildings
High Street, Newtonmore in Winter

This postcard shows the High Street, or Main Street, in Newtonmore, a village 8 km southwest of Kingussie. The largest building on the right of the street is the 'Braeriach Hotel', formerly known as the 'Temperance Hotel'.

The village of Newtonmore became established in the early 1800s. Originally known as 'Strone-muir', a plan of the area produced in 1828 refers to the village as Newtonmore, 'the new town on the moor'.

A number of events contributed to the development of Newtonmore. In the mid-18th century, the construction of a bridge over the River Spey near Ralia meant that traffic began to move through this area, rather than keeping to the south of the river as had previously been the case. The building of a Parliamentary road through Newtonmore in 1817, connecting Kingussie to Fort William, further improved the village's travelling and trading links.

In the early 1800s, soldiers returning to the area from the Napoleonic Wars were encouraged to establish themselves as artisans in Newtonmore and nearby villages, due to the scarcity of land available. Over the course of the 1800s, the clearance of approximately 300 people from their homes in nearby Glen Banchor further contributed to Newtonmore's growth.

By 1860 there were approximately 30 houses in Newtonmore, but the arrival of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway to Newtonmore in 1863 brought increased development and prosperity to the village due to the ensuing upturn of trade and tourism.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

High Street, Newtonmore in Winter

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

snow; winter; weather; house; houses; building; buildings

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the High Street, or Main Street, in Newtonmore, a village 8 km southwest of Kingussie. The largest building on the right of the street is the 'Braeriach Hotel', formerly known as the 'Temperance Hotel'. <br /> <br /> The village of Newtonmore became established in the early 1800s. Originally known as 'Strone-muir', a plan of the area produced in 1828 refers to the village as Newtonmore, 'the new town on the moor'.<br /> <br /> A number of events contributed to the development of Newtonmore. In the mid-18th century, the construction of a bridge over the River Spey near Ralia meant that traffic began to move through this area, rather than keeping to the south of the river as had previously been the case. The building of a Parliamentary road through Newtonmore in 1817, connecting Kingussie to Fort William, further improved the village's travelling and trading links. <br /> <br /> In the early 1800s, soldiers returning to the area from the Napoleonic Wars were encouraged to establish themselves as artisans in Newtonmore and nearby villages, due to the scarcity of land available. Over the course of the 1800s, the clearance of approximately 300 people from their homes in nearby Glen Banchor further contributed to Newtonmore's growth. <br /> <br /> By 1860 there were approximately 30 houses in Newtonmore, but the arrival of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway to Newtonmore in 1863 brought increased development and prosperity to the village due to the ensuing upturn of trade and tourism.