Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Nethybridge Hotel, Nethy Bridge
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5800
PLACENAME
Nethy Bridge
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Abernethy and Kincardine
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37437
KEYWORDS
architecture
building
buildings
Nethybridge Hotel, Nethy Bridge

This postcard shows the Nethy Bridge Hotel in the village of Nethy Bridge, which lies approximately 8 km south southwest of Grantown-on-Spey.

Until the arrival of the railway here in 1863, the village was known as Abernethy. It was renamed Nethy Bridge to differentiate it from another Abernethy village, at which the Great North of Scotland Railway line already stopped. The name Nethy Bridge refers to the three-arch bridge in the village, designed by Thomas Telford and completed in 1806. The railway line that ran through Nethy Bridge closed in the 1960s.

The timber trade was central to the local economy in the 18th and 18th centuries and there were a number of sawmills in the local area. During World War 2, men from the Canadian Forestry Corps and the Newfoundland Navy were based in camps at Abernethy Forest, harvesting and processing Scots Pine for the war effort.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Nethybridge Hotel, Nethy Bridge

INVERNESS: Abernethy and Kincardine

architecture; building; buildings

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the Nethy Bridge Hotel in the village of Nethy Bridge, which lies approximately 8 km south southwest of Grantown-on-Spey. <br /> <br /> Until the arrival of the railway here in 1863, the village was known as Abernethy. It was renamed Nethy Bridge to differentiate it from another Abernethy village, at which the Great North of Scotland Railway line already stopped. The name Nethy Bridge refers to the three-arch bridge in the village, designed by Thomas Telford and completed in 1806. The railway line that ran through Nethy Bridge closed in the 1960s.<br /> <br /> The timber trade was central to the local economy in the 18th and 18th centuries and there were a number of sawmills in the local area. During World War 2, men from the Canadian Forestry Corps and the Newfoundland Navy were based in camps at Abernethy Forest, harvesting and processing Scots Pine for the war effort.