Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Churchill Barrriers, Scapa Flow, Orkney
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5814
PLACENAME
Scapa Flow, Orkney
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37451
KEYWORDS
harbours
piers
naval bases
wrecks
barriers
crofts
houses
Churchill Barrriers, Scapa Flow, Orkney

This postard is titled 'Churchill Barriers, Scapa Flow, Orkney'.

Scapa Flow is a large natural harbour, located in Orkney. During World War One, Scapa Flow was used as the main naval base for the British Grand Fleet. After the conclusion of World War One in November 1918, seventy-four ships of the German High Seas Fleet were interned at Scapa Flow. In June 1919 Rear Admiral Ludwig von Reuter, the commanding German officer at Scapa Flow ordered the fleet to be scuttled, so that the ships would not become British property.

Scapa Flow was again used as the main naval base for the Royal Navy during World War Two. On 14th October 1939, the German submarine, U-47, succeeded in entering Scapa Flow and launching a torpedo attack on the British battleship HMS Royal Oak. 833 of the 1400 crew were killed, and the wreck is now a designated war grave.

The attack on the Royal Oak led to defences at Scapa Flow being significantly strengthened. In 1940, Winston Churchill ordered the construction of four causeways on the eastern side of Scapa Flow, which became known as 'Churchill Barriers'. The causeways, built using concrete blocks, were constructed by Italian Prisoners of War, and are still use to provide road access from Mainland Orkney to the islands of Burray and South Ronaldsay.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Churchill Barrriers, Scapa Flow, Orkney

harbours; piers; naval bases; wrecks; barriers; crofts; houses

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postard is titled 'Churchill Barriers, Scapa Flow, Orkney'. <br /> <br /> Scapa Flow is a large natural harbour, located in Orkney. During World War One, Scapa Flow was used as the main naval base for the British Grand Fleet. After the conclusion of World War One in November 1918, seventy-four ships of the German High Seas Fleet were interned at Scapa Flow. In June 1919 Rear Admiral Ludwig von Reuter, the commanding German officer at Scapa Flow ordered the fleet to be scuttled, so that the ships would not become British property.<br /> <br /> Scapa Flow was again used as the main naval base for the Royal Navy during World War Two. On 14th October 1939, the German submarine, U-47, succeeded in entering Scapa Flow and launching a torpedo attack on the British battleship HMS Royal Oak. 833 of the 1400 crew were killed, and the wreck is now a designated war grave. <br /> <br /> The attack on the Royal Oak led to defences at Scapa Flow being significantly strengthened. In 1940, Winston Churchill ordered the construction of four causeways on the eastern side of Scapa Flow, which became known as 'Churchill Barriers'. The causeways, built using concrete blocks, were constructed by Italian Prisoners of War, and are still use to provide road access from Mainland Orkney to the islands of Burray and South Ronaldsay.