Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Uig Bay from above the church, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5838
PLACENAME
Uig
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmuir
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37476
KEYWORDS
landscape
coastline
church
folly
Fraser's Tower
Free church
Uig Bay from above the church, Isle of Skye

Uig Bay, on the west coast of the Trotternish peninsula in the north of Skye, is pictured here looking south west past the promontory Ru Chorachan to the Waternish peninsula beyond. The Free Church on the right, with its distinctive tower, was built in 1847 in a prominent site overlooking the community. The large house to its left is now the Uig Hotel and in the field opposite is Fraser's Folly, a drum-shaped tower constructed about 1860 by the then landlord Captain Fraser.

Uig is a small fishing port and there was a pier here by 1840, which was greatly extended in 1894 at a cost of £9000. In the early years of the 20th century, steamers plying between Glasgow and Stornoway made regular stops in Uig, and in 1964 Caledonian MacBrayne started its regular sailings to the Isle of Harris and North Uist, which continue today.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Uig Bay from above the church, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Kilmuir

1920s; 1930s

landscape; coastline; church; folly; Fraser's Tower; Free church

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Uig Bay, on the west coast of the Trotternish peninsula in the north of Skye, is pictured here looking south west past the promontory Ru Chorachan to the Waternish peninsula beyond. The Free Church on the right, with its distinctive tower, was built in 1847 in a prominent site overlooking the community. The large house to its left is now the Uig Hotel and in the field opposite is Fraser's Folly, a drum-shaped tower constructed about 1860 by the then landlord Captain Fraser. <br /> <br /> Uig is a small fishing port and there was a pier here by 1840, which was greatly extended in 1894 at a cost of £9000. In the early years of the 20th century, steamers plying between Glasgow and Stornoway made regular stops in Uig, and in 1964 Caledonian MacBrayne started its regular sailings to the Isle of Harris and North Uist, which continue today.