Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Spean Bridge, near Fort William
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5859
PLACENAME
Spean Bridge
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37492
KEYWORDS
Lochaber
Spean Bridge, near Fort William

Spean Bridge is located approximately 14 km north of Fort William. The bridge in this image was designed by Thomas Telford and built in 1819.

The original bridge that crossed the River Spean was known as High Bridge, and was constructed in 1736 as part of the military road building scheme undertaken by Lieutenant General Wade for the government. High Bridge was the scene of the first military skirmish of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion. Donald MacDonald of Tirnadris and a small group of MacDonalds of Keppoch forced a company of government troops into retreat, having deceived them into believing that the bridge was heavily defended.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Spean Bridge, near Fort William

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

Lochaber

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Spean Bridge is located approximately 14 km north of Fort William. The bridge in this image was designed by Thomas Telford and built in 1819. <br /> <br /> The original bridge that crossed the River Spean was known as High Bridge, and was constructed in 1736 as part of the military road building scheme undertaken by Lieutenant General Wade for the government. High Bridge was the scene of the first military skirmish of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion. Donald MacDonald of Tirnadris and a small group of MacDonalds of Keppoch forced a company of government troops into retreat, having deceived them into believing that the bridge was heavily defended.