Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Spean Bridge, near Fort William
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5860
PLACENAME
Spean Bridge
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37493
KEYWORDS
Lochaber
Spean Bridge, near Fort William

Spean Bridge is a village located approximately 14 km north of Fort William.

The original bridge that crossed the River Spean was known as High Bridge, and was constructed in 1736 as part of the military road building scheme undertaken by Lieutenant General Wade for the government. High Bridge was the scene of the first military skirmish of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion. Donald MacDonald of Tirnadris and a small group of MacDonalds of Keppoch forced a company of government troops into retreat, having deceived them into believing that the bridge was heavily defended.

Between 1942 and 1945, Achnacarry near Spean Bridge was the location of the Commando Basic Training Centre for the Allied Forces. The Commando Memorial near Spean Bridge was erected in 1952 to commemorate the commandos who were trained in the area.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Spean Bridge, near Fort William

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

Lochaber

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Spean Bridge is a village located approximately 14 km north of Fort William. <br /> <br /> The original bridge that crossed the River Spean was known as High Bridge, and was constructed in 1736 as part of the military road building scheme undertaken by Lieutenant General Wade for the government. High Bridge was the scene of the first military skirmish of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion. Donald MacDonald of Tirnadris and a small group of MacDonalds of Keppoch forced a company of government troops into retreat, having deceived them into believing that the bridge was heavily defended. <br /> <br /> Between 1942 and 1945, Achnacarry near Spean Bridge was the location of the Commando Basic Training Centre for the Allied Forces. The Commando Memorial near Spean Bridge was erected in 1952 to commemorate the commandos who were trained in the area.