Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
River Glass at Struy, Strathglass
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5872
PLACENAME
Strathglass
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37502
KEYWORDS
electricity
River Glass at Struy, Strathglass

Struy is approximately 14 km southwest of Beauly and is located at the entrance to Glen Strathfarrer. The bridge at Struy, with its five segmental arches, was designed by Thomas Telford and built in 1812.

Simon, Lord Fraser of Lovat, granted the lands of Erchless around Struy to John Chisholm in 1606 and it seems that Erchless Castle, near the village, was built shortly thereafter.

The building of the Affric-Beauly Hydro-Electric Power Scheme, which began in the late 1940s, brought much change to this area. At the height of the scheme's construction, 2000 hydro workers were housed at Cannich village at the south end of Strathglass. The completed scheme comprises of six power stations, six dams and several tunnels.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

River Glass at Struy, Strathglass

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

electricity

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Struy is approximately 14 km southwest of Beauly and is located at the entrance to Glen Strathfarrer. The bridge at Struy, with its five segmental arches, was designed by Thomas Telford and built in 1812. <br /> <br /> Simon, Lord Fraser of Lovat, granted the lands of Erchless around Struy to John Chisholm in 1606 and it seems that Erchless Castle, near the village, was built shortly thereafter.<br /> <br /> The building of the Affric-Beauly Hydro-Electric Power Scheme, which began in the late 1940s, brought much change to this area. At the height of the scheme's construction, 2000 hydro workers were housed at Cannich village at the south end of Strathglass. The completed scheme comprises of six power stations, six dams and several tunnels.