Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plodda Falls, Strathglass, Beauly
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5873
PLACENAME
Strathglass
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37503
KEYWORDS
Glen Affric
land ownership
Plodda Falls, Strathglass, Beauly

Plodda Falls is located approximately 5 km northeast of the village of Tomich.

In 1854 Sir Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks, the first Lord Tweedmouth, purchased Guisachan Estate and founded the estate village of Tomich in the late 19th century. Guisachan House, 2.7 km southwest of Tomich, was significantly improved and extended by Lord Tweedmouth around 1860 but is now ruined. Lord Tweedmouth also bred the first Golden Retrievers at Guisachan. A monument to Lord Tweedmouth and his wife Isabel stands in Tomich village.

The building of the Affric-Beauly Hydro-Electric Power Scheme, which began in the late 1940s, brought much change to this area. Tomich was the largest village in the area until the start of the power scheme's construction, when nearby Cannich was designated as the main camp for labourers. At the height of the hydro scheme's construction, around 2000 men were housed in Cannich. The completed scheme comprises of six power stations, six dams and several tunnels.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plodda Falls, Strathglass, Beauly

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

Glen Affric; land ownership

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Plodda Falls is located approximately 5 km northeast of the village of Tomich.<br /> <br /> In 1854 Sir Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks, the first Lord Tweedmouth, purchased Guisachan Estate and founded the estate village of Tomich in the late 19th century. Guisachan House, 2.7 km southwest of Tomich, was significantly improved and extended by Lord Tweedmouth around 1860 but is now ruined. Lord Tweedmouth also bred the first Golden Retrievers at Guisachan. A monument to Lord Tweedmouth and his wife Isabel stands in Tomich village.<br /> <br /> The building of the Affric-Beauly Hydro-Electric Power Scheme, which began in the late 1940s, brought much change to this area. Tomich was the largest village in the area until the start of the power scheme's construction, when nearby Cannich was designated as the main camp for labourers. At the height of the hydro scheme's construction, around 2000 men were housed in Cannich. The completed scheme comprises of six power stations, six dams and several tunnels.