Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mackay's Hotel, Strathpeffer Spa
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5879
PLACENAME
Strathpeffer
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fodderty
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37510
KEYWORDS
architecture
building
buildings
leisure
recreation
health
Mackay's Hotel, Strathpeffer Spa

This postcard shows Mackay's Hotel in the centre of the village of Strathpeffer. It was originally known as MacGregor's Hotel and was completed in the late 1860s. Though considerably altered and extended, it still stands opposite the village square today.

Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. It owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. A Dr Morrison from Aberdeenshire publicised the healing powers of the waters at the beginning of the 19th century and, on his recommendation, the first wooden pump room was built in 1819. It stood in the village square to allow visitors to partake of the waters in various ways. Originally there were a few jugs available for drinking, and basic copper baths. In 1861 a strong stone pump room replaced the original wooden building; new bath-rooms were added in 1871 and ten years later the 'Ladies' Baths' were erected.

With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, Strathpeffer developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'. These improved facilities meant that Strathpeffer could compete with other spa towns in Britain and Europe. Until World War I the village was a major visitor attraction but thereafter its popularity declined.

The Spa and Principal Pump Room were demolished in the 1950s but the Upper Pump Room, next to the Pavilion, still remains. It now houses a range of interpretive displays which reveal the history behind the development of the Spa.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mackay's Hotel, Strathpeffer Spa

ROSS: Fodderty

architecture; building; buildings; leisure; recreation; health

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Mackay's Hotel in the centre of the village of Strathpeffer. It was originally known as MacGregor's Hotel and was completed in the late 1860s. Though considerably altered and extended, it still stands opposite the village square today.<br /> <br /> Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. It owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. A Dr Morrison from Aberdeenshire publicised the healing powers of the waters at the beginning of the 19th century and, on his recommendation, the first wooden pump room was built in 1819. It stood in the village square to allow visitors to partake of the waters in various ways. Originally there were a few jugs available for drinking, and basic copper baths. In 1861 a strong stone pump room replaced the original wooden building; new bath-rooms were added in 1871 and ten years later the 'Ladies' Baths' were erected. <br /> <br /> With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, Strathpeffer developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'. These improved facilities meant that Strathpeffer could compete with other spa towns in Britain and Europe. Until World War I the village was a major visitor attraction but thereafter its popularity declined.<br /> <br /> The Spa and Principal Pump Room were demolished in the 1950s but the Upper Pump Room, next to the Pavilion, still remains. It now houses a range of interpretive displays which reveal the history behind the development of the Spa.