Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Tarbat U.F. Church, Portmahomack
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5889
PLACENAME
Portmahomack
DISTRICT
Fearn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Tarbat
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37522
KEYWORDS
architecture
building
buildings
religion
Tarbat U.F. Church, Portmahomack

This postcard is titled 'Tarbat U.F. Church, Portmahomack'. The Tarbat United Free Church, built by Andrew Maitland & Sons in 1908, is located off Main Street and is now known as Tarbat Parish Church. Andrew Maitland & Sons also built Tarbat Free Church on Main Street between 1892-3.

The oldest church in Portmahomack is Tarbat Old Parish Church (also known as St. Colman's Church) which was mostly built in 1756. It is the last in a line of six churches that were built on the site, the earliest dating back to the eighth century. Tarbat Old Parish Church now houses a museum that interprets the Pictish heritage of the area.

The Tarbat Peninsula was of great cultural importance during the Pictish era. Archaeological investigations between 1994 and 2007 revealed an area near to Tarbat Old Parish Church to be the site of a Pictish monastery that was active between the sixth and the ninth centuries. Evidence shows the settlement contained workshops for glass-making, metal-working, vellum production and woodworking. Many Pictish carved stones have also been discovered in Portmahomack. The reasons behind the demise of the monastery are not certain, but it appears that it was destroyed by fire in the early ninth century, possibly the victim of a Viking attack.

Sir George MacKenzie, Viscount Tarbat and 1st East of Cromartie (1630 - 1714) built a pier at Portmahomack in 1698. The present harbour was built between 1813 and 1816 by Thomas Telford and contributed to the growth of Portmahomack village. Two girnals, or storehouses, overlook the harbour. The first was built in 1699 by Alexander Stronach, and the second in 1779.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Tarbat U.F. Church, Portmahomack

ROSS: Tarbat

architecture; building; buildings; religion

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard is titled 'Tarbat U.F. Church, Portmahomack'. The Tarbat United Free Church, built by Andrew Maitland & Sons in 1908, is located off Main Street and is now known as Tarbat Parish Church. Andrew Maitland & Sons also built Tarbat Free Church on Main Street between 1892-3. <br /> <br /> The oldest church in Portmahomack is Tarbat Old Parish Church (also known as St. Colman's Church) which was mostly built in 1756. It is the last in a line of six churches that were built on the site, the earliest dating back to the eighth century. Tarbat Old Parish Church now houses a museum that interprets the Pictish heritage of the area.<br /> <br /> The Tarbat Peninsula was of great cultural importance during the Pictish era. Archaeological investigations between 1994 and 2007 revealed an area near to Tarbat Old Parish Church to be the site of a Pictish monastery that was active between the sixth and the ninth centuries. Evidence shows the settlement contained workshops for glass-making, metal-working, vellum production and woodworking. Many Pictish carved stones have also been discovered in Portmahomack. The reasons behind the demise of the monastery are not certain, but it appears that it was destroyed by fire in the early ninth century, possibly the victim of a Viking attack.<br /> <br /> Sir George MacKenzie, Viscount Tarbat and 1st East of Cromartie (1630 - 1714) built a pier at Portmahomack in 1698. The present harbour was built between 1813 and 1816 by Thomas Telford and contributed to the growth of Portmahomack village. Two girnals, or storehouses, overlook the harbour. The first was built in 1699 by Alexander Stronach, and the second in 1779.