Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Tarbatness Lighthouse, Portmahomack
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5890
PLACENAME
Portmahomack
DISTRICT
Fearn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Tarbat
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37523
KEYWORDS
architecture
building
buildings
Tarbatness Lighthouse, Portmahomack

Tarbat Ness lighthouse, 4.5 km north-east of Portmahomack, began operating on 26 January 1830. It was built following the loss of sixteen vessels in a great storm in the Moray Firth in November 1826.

Tarbat Ness lighthouse was engineered by Robert Stevenson and James Smith of Inverness was charged with its construction. The keeper's cottages adjoining the lighthouse were also designed by Stevenson. The lighthouse, with its two distinctive red bands that identify it to ships at sea, was automated in 1985. The original lens and mechanism are now on show at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich.

Robert Stevenson was the first of the Stevenson engineers. He first worked for the Northern Lighthouse Board in 1794 and by 1808 had been appointed Sole Engineer, a position he held until 1842. He engineered 15 major lighthouses for the Board, including the infamous Bell Rock lighthouse.

According to local tradition, the site of the lighthouse was once a Roman fort and later used for witches' covens. Tarbat Ness is also a place of special interest for the observation of migratory birds.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Tarbatness Lighthouse, Portmahomack

ROSS: Tarbat

architecture; building; buildings

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Tarbat Ness lighthouse, 4.5 km north-east of Portmahomack, began operating on 26 January 1830. It was built following the loss of sixteen vessels in a great storm in the Moray Firth in November 1826.<br /> <br /> Tarbat Ness lighthouse was engineered by Robert Stevenson and James Smith of Inverness was charged with its construction. The keeper's cottages adjoining the lighthouse were also designed by Stevenson. The lighthouse, with its two distinctive red bands that identify it to ships at sea, was automated in 1985. The original lens and mechanism are now on show at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich.<br /> <br /> Robert Stevenson was the first of the Stevenson engineers. He first worked for the Northern Lighthouse Board in 1794 and by 1808 had been appointed Sole Engineer, a position he held until 1842. He engineered 15 major lighthouses for the Board, including the infamous Bell Rock lighthouse.<br /> <br /> According to local tradition, the site of the lighthouse was once a Roman fort and later used for witches' covens. Tarbat Ness is also a place of special interest for the observation of migratory birds.