Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Town Hall and New Public Library, Thurso
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5905
PLACENAME
Thurso
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37539
KEYWORDS
architecture
building
buildings
Town Hall and New Public Library, Thurso

This postcard shows Thurso's Town Hall and public library, located on High Street, one of the main thoroughfares of the old town. The Town Hall, completed in 1870, was designed by J. Russell MacKenzie.

The town of Thurso was created a burgh of barony in 1633. In 1719 the burgh and the lands of Thurso were obtained by the Sinclairs of Ulbster, and in 1798 Sir John Sinclair (1754-1835), the financier and agriculturalist, laid out a 'new town' adjoining the original medieval burgh.

Construction of Thurso's 'new town' began around 1800. The streets were laid out on a regimented grid-pattern, in stark contrast to the older part of town nearer to Thurso Bay, of which High Street was a part.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Town Hall and New Public Library, Thurso

CAITHNESS: Thurso

architecture; building; buildings

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries Past & Present

This postcard shows Thurso's Town Hall and public library, located on High Street, one of the main thoroughfares of the old town. The Town Hall, completed in 1870, was designed by J. Russell MacKenzie.<br /> <br /> The town of Thurso was created a burgh of barony in 1633. In 1719 the burgh and the lands of Thurso were obtained by the Sinclairs of Ulbster, and in 1798 Sir John Sinclair (1754-1835), the financier and agriculturalist, laid out a 'new town' adjoining the original medieval burgh. <br /> <br /> Construction of Thurso's 'new town' began around 1800. The streets were laid out on a regimented grid-pattern, in stark contrast to the older part of town nearer to Thurso Bay, of which High Street was a part.