Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Tunnel to Cromarty House, Cromarty
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_6017
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37651
KEYWORDS
houses
mansions
castles
industrialists
The Tunnel to Cromarty House, Cromarty

This image shows an early photograph of the tunnel to Cromarty House, in the small village of Cromarty, located at the mouth of the Cromarty Firth. Cromarty House was built for George Ross, an agricultural and cultural improver, after he acquired Cromarty Estate in 1772. A 13th century castle, which had been the property of the Urquharts since the 1450s, was demolished to make way for the new house.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Tunnel to Cromarty House, Cromarty

ROSS: Cromarty

houses; mansions; castles; industrialists

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This image shows an early photograph of the tunnel to Cromarty House, in the small village of Cromarty, located at the mouth of the Cromarty Firth. Cromarty House was built for George Ross, an agricultural and cultural improver, after he acquired Cromarty Estate in 1772. A 13th century castle, which had been the property of the Urquharts since the 1450s, was demolished to make way for the new house.