Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Aerial view of the aluminiom smelter at Invergordon, 1975

This photograph shows the aluminium smelter built in Invergordon at the end of the 1960s by the British Aluminium Company. The pipeline connecting to its own private jetty is also visible. At the peak of production 1000 people worked at the smelter, one of the largest industrial works in the Highlands. Unfortunately, it proved to be uneconomic and closed in December 1981.

Invergordon's natural deep harbour and its proximity to the Cromarty Firth made it an ideal trading port in the past and, more recently, a safe anchorage for ships. Its links with the Royal Navy date back to the 19th century and by the 20th century it was classed as an official base, playing host to the Home Fleet on many occasions. During both World Wars the Royal Navy used the dockyard facilities and fuel storage tanks at Invergordon.

During the 1970s, Invergordon saw a resurgence of development through the oil industry. Its close proximity to North Sea oilfields made the area an ideal location for oilrig construction and maintenance. The construction industry has now declined but Invergordon remains an important centre for oilrig maintenance. Sea cargo and the cruise liner trade also ensure that the harbour continues to thrive.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aerial view of the aluminiom smelter at Invergordon, 1975

ROSS: Rosskeen

1970s

aerial photography; smelters; pipelines; jetties; pier; piers; harbours; ports; World War 1; World War I; First World War; World War 2; World War II; Second World War; naval bases; cruise liners; aerial photographs

Highland Libraries

Aerial Views: Invergordon & Nigg

This photograph shows the aluminium smelter built in Invergordon at the end of the 1960s by the British Aluminium Company. The pipeline connecting to its own private jetty is also visible. At the peak of production 1000 people worked at the smelter, one of the largest industrial works in the Highlands. Unfortunately, it proved to be uneconomic and closed in December 1981.<br /> <br /> Invergordon's natural deep harbour and its proximity to the Cromarty Firth made it an ideal trading port in the past and, more recently, a safe anchorage for ships. Its links with the Royal Navy date back to the 19th century and by the 20th century it was classed as an official base, playing host to the Home Fleet on many occasions. During both World Wars the Royal Navy used the dockyard facilities and fuel storage tanks at Invergordon. <br /> <br /> During the 1970s, Invergordon saw a resurgence of development through the oil industry. Its close proximity to North Sea oilfields made the area an ideal location for oilrig construction and maintenance. The construction industry has now declined but Invergordon remains an important centre for oilrig maintenance. Sea cargo and the cruise liner trade also ensure that the harbour continues to thrive.