Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Demolition of Queen Mary's House
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_INV_MISC_PHOTO_003
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1968
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37857
KEYWORDS
Queen Mary's House
Alexander Gordon
William Inglis of Kingsmills
HIDB
Demolition of Queen Mary's House

This photograph shows Queen Mary's House, just before its demolition in 1968. The house was occupied by Mary, Queen of Scots in 1562 while her army laid siege to the castle. Mary had been refused admission to her castle by Alexander Gordon, the Earl of Huntly's Lieutenant-Governor. With the help of the MacKintoshes and Frasers the castle was taken and Gordon hanged.

The first and second floors were altered by William Inglis of Kingsmills in 1787 though the one-and-a-half metre thick ground-floor walls were retained. From the late eighteenth century the building was occupied by wine and spirit merchants Fraser, Wilson & Co. The building was demolished in 1968 to make way for the offices of the Highlands and Islands Development Board. The vaults of the old house were incorporated into the entrance hall of the new building

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Demolition of Queen Mary's House

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1960s

Queen Mary's House; Alexander Gordon; William Inglis of Kingsmills; HIDB

Highland Libraries

Views of Inverness, 1960s

This photograph shows Queen Mary's House, just before its demolition in 1968. The house was occupied by Mary, Queen of Scots in 1562 while her army laid siege to the castle. Mary had been refused admission to her castle by Alexander Gordon, the Earl of Huntly's Lieutenant-Governor. With the help of the MacKintoshes and Frasers the castle was taken and Gordon hanged. <br /> <br /> The first and second floors were altered by William Inglis of Kingsmills in 1787 though the one-and-a-half metre thick ground-floor walls were retained. From the late eighteenth century the building was occupied by wine and spirit merchants Fraser, Wilson & Co. The building was demolished in 1968 to make way for the offices of the Highlands and Islands Development Board. The vaults of the old house were incorporated into the entrance hall of the new building