Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Castle from the new bridge
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_INV_MISC_PHOTO_011
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s; 1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37862
KEYWORDS
Inverness Castle
courthouses
jails
bridges
Ness Bridge
Inverness Castle from the new bridge

This photograph shows Inverness Castle during the construction of a new bridge across the River Ness. There has been a castle on this site from the 12th century. In the ensuing 500 years it was destroyed and rebuilt on several occasions.

The southern end of the present castle, the courthouse, dates from 1833-6 with the northern section being added as a jail in 1848. In 1901, after the building of a new jail at Porterfield, that part of the castle became the headquarters of the Inverness-shire Police whilst the court house became the Council Chamber of Inverness-shire County Council. After local government reorganisation in the 1970s it became the District Court-room.

The wooden buildings below Inverness Castle show the work crew's huts during the reconstruction of the new Ness Bridge. The new concrete structure replaced a previous suspension bridge that had existed here from 1855. It was demolished in 1959 as it could no longer cope with the volume of traffic in the town centre. The new bridge was officially opened in 1961 and is still in existence today

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Castle from the new bridge

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s; 1960s

Inverness Castle; courthouses; jails; bridges; Ness Bridge

Highland Libraries

Views of Inverness, 1960s

This photograph shows Inverness Castle during the construction of a new bridge across the River Ness. There has been a castle on this site from the 12th century. In the ensuing 500 years it was destroyed and rebuilt on several occasions.<br /> <br /> The southern end of the present castle, the courthouse, dates from 1833-6 with the northern section being added as a jail in 1848. In 1901, after the building of a new jail at Porterfield, that part of the castle became the headquarters of the Inverness-shire Police whilst the court house became the Council Chamber of Inverness-shire County Council. After local government reorganisation in the 1970s it became the District Court-room.<br /> <br /> The wooden buildings below Inverness Castle show the work crew's huts during the reconstruction of the new Ness Bridge. The new concrete structure replaced a previous suspension bridge that had existed here from 1855. It was demolished in 1959 as it could no longer cope with the volume of traffic in the town centre. The new bridge was officially opened in 1961 and is still in existence today