Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Corner of Bridge Street and Castle Road, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_INV_MISC_PHOTO_019
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s; 1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37870
KEYWORDS
Bridge Street
Castle Road
Bank Street
Ness Bridge
Corner of Bridge Street and Castle Road, Inverness

This photograph shows the corner of Bridge Street and Castle Road in Inverness. The photograph was taken in the late 1950s or early 1960s, during the construction of a new bridge across the River Ness. The wooden hut in the foreground of the picture was used by the bridge work crew. The new concrete Ness Bridge was officially opened in 1961, and replaced a suspension bridge that was demolished in 1959.

The buildings shown in the photograph were demolished during the early 1960s and were replaced by modern concrete structures. Castle Road, Bridge Street and Bank Street all came under reconstruction during this period.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Corner of Bridge Street and Castle Road, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s; 1960s

Bridge Street; Castle Road; Bank Street; Ness Bridge

Highland Libraries

Views of Inverness, 1960s

This photograph shows the corner of Bridge Street and Castle Road in Inverness. The photograph was taken in the late 1950s or early 1960s, during the construction of a new bridge across the River Ness. The wooden hut in the foreground of the picture was used by the bridge work crew. The new concrete Ness Bridge was officially opened in 1961, and replaced a suspension bridge that was demolished in 1959.<br /> <br /> The buildings shown in the photograph were demolished during the early 1960s and were replaced by modern concrete structures. Castle Road, Bridge Street and Bank Street all came under reconstruction during this period.