Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Corner of Bridge Street and Castle Road
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_INV_MISC_PHOTO_027
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s; 1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37879
KEYWORDS
Inverness Castle
Bridge Street
Castle Road
William Burn
Ness Bridge
courthouse
Corner of Bridge Street and Castle Road

This photograph shows the corner of Bridge Street and Castle Road in Inverness. The picture was taken at the time of a new bridge being constructed across the River Ness. The wooden huts, shown below Inverness Castle, were used by the bridge work crew and the new bridge was officially opened in 1961. It was built to replace a previous suspension bridge that had existed here from 1855 . The buildings to the left of the huts were demolished in the early 1960s during a period of reconstruction to Bridge Street.

Inverness Castle was erected between 1833 and 1848. It was built to a plan by William Burn of Edinburgh but the site has been occupied by various fortified structures since as far back as the 1100s. Today the castle serves as an administrative centre and courthouse

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Corner of Bridge Street and Castle Road

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s; 1960s

Inverness Castle; Bridge Street; Castle Road; William Burn; Ness Bridge; courthouse

Highland Libraries

Views of Inverness, 1960s

This photograph shows the corner of Bridge Street and Castle Road in Inverness. The picture was taken at the time of a new bridge being constructed across the River Ness. The wooden huts, shown below Inverness Castle, were used by the bridge work crew and the new bridge was officially opened in 1961. It was built to replace a previous suspension bridge that had existed here from 1855 . The buildings to the left of the huts were demolished in the early 1960s during a period of reconstruction to Bridge Street.<br /> <br /> Inverness Castle was erected between 1833 and 1848. It was built to a plan by William Burn of Edinburgh but the site has been occupied by various fortified structures since as far back as the 1100s. Today the castle serves as an administrative centre and courthouse