Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Carnegie Public Library building in Wick, August 1994
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_LIBRARY_005
PLACENAME
Wick
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
DATE OF IMAGE
August 1994
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
37899
KEYWORDS
philanthropists
libraries
Carnegie Public Library building in Wick, August 1994

The building of the Carnegie Public Library, on Sinclair Terrace in Wick, was financed by the Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919).

Andrew Carnegie funded the building of approximately 2,500 public libraries, the majority of which were located in the United States, Britain and Ireland. The very first of these public libraries was built in Carnegie's home town of Dunfermline in 1883.

The Carnegie Public Library in Wick was designed by the Edinburgh architect Thomas Leadbetter and was formally opened on 6 September 1898. The 'Northern Ensign' reported that, 'The ceremony of opening of the Library took place at half-past one o'clock. The building was profusely decorated with flags under the superintendence of Mr Teeling R.N., who had assistance of Coastguardsmen Kelly and Gearing, and William Macdonald and Hector Nicolson, fishermen. Conspicuous above the others was a combination of flags displaying the Union Jack and the Stars and Stripes.'

Like all Carnegie libraries, the motto 'Let there be light' is inscribed over the entrance to Wick Public Library.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Carnegie Public Library building in Wick, August 1994

CAITHNESS: Wick

1990s

philanthropists; libraries

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries Past & Present

The building of the Carnegie Public Library, on Sinclair Terrace in Wick, was financed by the Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919).<br /> <br /> Andrew Carnegie funded the building of approximately 2,500 public libraries, the majority of which were located in the United States, Britain and Ireland. The very first of these public libraries was built in Carnegie's home town of Dunfermline in 1883.<br /> <br /> The Carnegie Public Library in Wick was designed by the Edinburgh architect Thomas Leadbetter and was formally opened on 6 September 1898. The 'Northern Ensign' reported that, 'The ceremony of opening of the Library took place at half-past one o'clock. The building was profusely decorated with flags under the superintendence of Mr Teeling R.N., who had assistance of Coastguardsmen Kelly and Gearing, and William Macdonald and Hector Nicolson, fishermen. Conspicuous above the others was a combination of flags displaying the Union Jack and the Stars and Stripes.'<br /> <br /> Like all Carnegie libraries, the motto 'Let there be light' is inscribed over the entrance to Wick Public Library.