Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sir Henry Cockburn Macandrew
EXTERNAL ID
AB_INVTOWNHOUSE07_05
PLACENAME
Inverness
DATE OF IMAGE
1892
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
Sir George Reid
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
380
KEYWORDS
Inverness Town House
portraits
provosts
George Reid
solicitors
telephones
Field Club
Sir Henry Cockburn Macandrew

This portrait of Sir Henry Macandrew hangs in Inverness Town House, in the Main Hall. The painting by Sir George Reid, President of the Royal Scottish Academy, was presented to the Town Council on 30th September 1892.

Henry Cockburn Macandrew was born in Inverness in 1832, one of nine children. He was a son of John Macandrew, solicitor, who began business in Inverness in 1812.

Macandrew was educated at the Royal Academy and at Aberdeen University. He received a legal training in his father's office and spent some years with the Bank of England.

Macandrew returned to Inverness in the 1850s joining solicitor James Macpherson to form the firm Macpherson and Macandrew. After the death of Mr Macpherson he assumed his nephew, Mr Jenkins, as a partner and formed the firm Macandrew and Jenkins.

In 1870 Macandrew was appointed Sheriff-Clerk. In 1882 he was elected a member of the Town Council. He served as provost from 1883 to 1889.

Provost Macandrew made the first telephone call in Inverness in 1885. He phoned William MacKay, Craigmonie House, whose telephone number was Inverness 2. The Town House was Inverness 1.

Macandrew was knighted by Queen Victoria in 1887. His other offices included President of the Field Club and Dean of the Faculty of Solicitors. He died on the 26th September 1898

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sir Henry Cockburn Macandrew

1890s

Inverness Town House; portraits; provosts; George Reid; solicitors; telephones; Field Club

Am Baile

Inverness Town House 2007

This portrait of Sir Henry Macandrew hangs in Inverness Town House, in the Main Hall. The painting by Sir George Reid, President of the Royal Scottish Academy, was presented to the Town Council on 30th September 1892.<br /> <br /> Henry Cockburn Macandrew was born in Inverness in 1832, one of nine children. He was a son of John Macandrew, solicitor, who began business in Inverness in 1812. <br /> <br /> Macandrew was educated at the Royal Academy and at Aberdeen University. He received a legal training in his father's office and spent some years with the Bank of England.<br /> <br /> Macandrew returned to Inverness in the 1850s joining solicitor James Macpherson to form the firm Macpherson and Macandrew. After the death of Mr Macpherson he assumed his nephew, Mr Jenkins, as a partner and formed the firm Macandrew and Jenkins. <br /> <br /> In 1870 Macandrew was appointed Sheriff-Clerk. In 1882 he was elected a member of the Town Council. He served as provost from 1883 to 1889. <br /> <br /> Provost Macandrew made the first telephone call in Inverness in 1885. He phoned William MacKay, Craigmonie House, whose telephone number was Inverness 2. The Town House was Inverness 1.<br /> <br /> Macandrew was knighted by Queen Victoria in 1887. His other offices included President of the Field Club and Dean of the Faculty of Solicitors. He died on the 26th September 1898