Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Castle of Mey
EXTERNAL ID
CAITHHORZ_T201
PLACENAME
Mey
DISTRICT
Northern Caithness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Canisbay
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Caithness Horizons
ASSET ID
3825
KEYWORDS
castle
royalty
royal family
Castle of Mey

This print depicts the Castle of Mey.

The Castle of Mey stands on the north coast of Caithness, west of John o' Groats. The castle was built between 1566 and 1572 by the 4th Earl of Caithness for his son, and was originally called Barrogill Castle. The castle was extended and renovated several times. The 15th Earl of Caithness died in the 1880s without an heir and left the castle to a friend. It was subsequently sold to Captain Imbert-Terry in 1928.

Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, bought the castle and grounds in 1952 and set about restoring it as a holiday home. She regularly stayed twice a year between 1955 and her death in 2002. In 1996, The Queen Mother created the Queen Elizabeth Castle of Mey Trust who now open the castle and gardens to visitors apart from a few days each year when the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay are staying.

The Castle of Mey is said to be haunted by a Green Lady. She is Elizabeth Sinclair, daughter of the 5th Earl of Caithness, who threw herself from a window after being imprisoned by her father for falling in love with a ploughman.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Caithness Horizons

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Castle of Mey

CAITHNESS: Canisbay

castle; royalty; royal family

Caithness Horizons

This print depicts the Castle of Mey.<br /> <br /> The Castle of Mey stands on the north coast of Caithness, west of John o' Groats. The castle was built between 1566 and 1572 by the 4th Earl of Caithness for his son, and was originally called Barrogill Castle. The castle was extended and renovated several times. The 15th Earl of Caithness died in the 1880s without an heir and left the castle to a friend. It was subsequently sold to Captain Imbert-Terry in 1928. <br /> <br /> Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, bought the castle and grounds in 1952 and set about restoring it as a holiday home. She regularly stayed twice a year between 1955 and her death in 2002. In 1996, The Queen Mother created the Queen Elizabeth Castle of Mey Trust who now open the castle and gardens to visitors apart from a few days each year when the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay are staying.<br /> <br /> The Castle of Mey is said to be haunted by a Green Lady. She is Elizabeth Sinclair, daughter of the 5th Earl of Caithness, who threw herself from a window after being imprisoned by her father for falling in love with a ploughman. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href=""mailto: joannehowdle@caithnesshorizons.co.uk"">Caithness Horizons</a><br />